The release of the next version of UpdraftPlus (1.9.4) is on the way.
The main new features of this release are:
- Re-written back-end for Google Drive; this uses Google’s newest API (the old one is likely to be dropped in 12 months time), uses less code, allows users (Premium) to select any folder they wish to use by name, uses less memory and requires fewer permissions! See this link for more. You should not need to update any of your existing settings.
- New Bitcasa storage back-end (Premium) – Bitcasa is a new kid on the block in the cloud storage world. They offer up to 20Gb of free storage space. Read more.
- New OpenStack Swift storage back-end. OpenStack is a multi-vendor cloud solution, for public and private clouds. This feature is available in both UpdraftPlus Premium and free. Read more.
- The ability to restore backups created by the popular BackWPUp backup plugin (Premium) – all formats (tar, tar.gz, tar.bz2 and zip). The existing ability to restore backups created by Simple Backups has been extended – now all backup formats (i.e. tar, tar.gz and tar.bz2 as well as the existing zip) are supported. Read more.
- New Czech translation (thanks to Martin Křížek) – the Russian, Swedish, Dutch and Portuguese translations have also been updated.
This release also restores support for WordPress 3.2, which was unintentionally dropped in UpdraftPlus 1.9.0 (already-existing scheduled backups would have continued running, but the settings page did not allow new ones to be set up). WordPress 3.2 is a bit of an antique, but there are still people using it, and sometimes they employ you to work on their sites and you want to first take a backup.
There is also a number of tweaks for convenience and speed (e.g. Dropbox uploads now run 25% faster), and some minor bug-fixes. The full changelog is here (it may take a few hours after this post appears to update itself).
You may have noticed that WordPress 3.9 was released a few days ago… the existing UpdraftPlus release was already compatible with this. However – we always recommend updating to the latest version; it’s our latest and greatest!
Not tried out UpdraftPlus Premium yet? Learn more about the great deal you can get, here…
David Anderson (founder, lead developer, UpdraftPlus)