404 after multisite migration

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Aubrey
    Participant

I’ve completed a multisite migration, but clearly I have some setting in WordPress wrong in the target site. I’m getting a 404 on every page except in the main site, including the dashboard pages. I went through the FAQ and checked the .htaccess file wp-config.php. Any help would be appreciated.

Bryle Crodua

Hi,

To help us work out the cause of your problem, can you please send us a copy of the migration log?
    You can find this log in the ‘wp-content/updraft’ directory of your new site location.
    The contents will be too long to post here directly, but you can use an online service such as Dropbox or Pastebin, and post the link here.

Best Wishes,
    Bryle

Aubrey
    Participant
    Aubrey
    Participant

Does it matter if the original site had MySQL and the target uses MariaDB? Also, the original site has WordPress 4.4.2 and the target has WordPress 4.9.8.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Apologies for the delay.

If you are still encountering the issue, and are able to access the main Network Admin dashboard, please could you try re-saving the site permalinks?

Does the new site .htaccess file contain the extra multisite information?

Best Wishes,
    David N

Aubrey
    Participant

No problem. As far as I know, there is no menu for for site permalinks in multisite. Am I missing something? If there was, that would make things easier.

I’ve checked the .htaccess, httpd.conf, and wp-config.php files and haven’t found problems. I’ve tried making some changes to the AllowOverride settings and discovered that at the /www/var/html level setting this to All caused a 500 server error. Setting it to all at /www/var/ actually produced some results, with pages showing up with content, but no formatting or javascript working. Also, I sometimes get error messages for too many redirects.

I’ve checked that the site URL is set correctly in as many files and settings that I know of. I’ve also turned off all plug-ins.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi William,

It sounds very likely to be a webserver configuration issue, especially given that it happens on dashboard pages – dashboard pages don’t rely on permalinks, they just rely on the webserver being able to route through to the right files (the dashboard pages are all files on the filesystem). I don’t suppose you happened to attempt visits to any non-home page URLs (e.g. the default “hello world” post) after installing WP on the destination, but before the migration?

If you create a test file, e.g. “test.txt” with a few words in it, and upload it into your wp-admin folder, are you able to visit that file directly from your browser via any site except the main site? It sounds to me like the webserver configuration rules you have (either in .htaccess or the main Apache configuration file) are not correct.

David

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘404 after multisite migration’ is closed to new replies.