Backup Going to Server Rather than Google Drive

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Backup Going to Server Rather than Google Drive

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brent
    Participant

Right now, everytime I try to do a Google Drive backup, the backups end up on the server under /wp-content/updrafts/

What could be the issue?

Dee Nutbourne

Hi Brent,

This indicates that the backups are not completing correctly.
    Please could you send us a copy of the latest backup log? This can be found in the Existing Backups tab.
    The contents will be too long to post here directly, but you can use an online service such as Dropbox or Pastebin, and post the link here. You can also set your reply to ‘private’.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Dan
    Participant

Rather than start a new thread, I am just tagging on here since I have the same problem.

First, here are two links to my last two backup logs that didn’t complete.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9959831/log.2a109a8f1abd.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9959831/log.216fbc6b69b8.txt

Second, I didn’t know that my backups were not completing correctly. It wasn’t till I ran out of hard drive space on the server that I found that I had a massive library of backups sitting in the updraft folder. Perhaps there could be an error message generated if a backup fails? I’m guessing there is a technical reason why you can’t but thought I’d ask.

My steps to date have been:

I was on the free version of Updraft plus. Loved it. Recommended it to others widely. Once I found the files were not transferring to offline storage (web server crashed), I reset my link to Dropbox. When that did not work, I changed from Dropbox to Google drive. That did not work. I then upgraded to the premium version of Updraft plus. I removed the previous installation per the instructions and installed the new version. I was surprised to see that my settings were retained which indicates I didn’t fully remove the free version. I’d hoped that installing the new fresh version might fix whatever my problem was.

Now I’ve tried to run multiple test backups and all have failed. Updraft is backing up daily per it’s settings, but they all remain on my webserver. I’m sure it’s something simple on my end, but I’d appreciate some guidance on what to do to get this great program working again.

Thank you

Dan Moore

Dee Nutbourne

Hi Dan,

From the logs, it appears that your Uploads directory is quite large. As such, there is a lot for UpdraftPlus to process. However, the amount of time that UpdraftPlus is allowed to run per resumption (~120 seconds) is not long enough to allow for this size of Uploads directory to be processed efficiently. The backup keeps resuming, and making progress, until it is eventually timed out completely by the server.

I would recommend increasing the maximum execution time for PHP scripts to 900 seconds, if possible. If you are not sure how to increase this limit, your hosts should be able to do it for you.

You can also reduce the split size of the backup archives to 100MB. This can be done in the ‘expert settings’ section of the UpdraftPlus Settings tab. This will result in a larger number of smaller backup files that are easier to process.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Dan
    Participant

Hi David. Thank you for your explanation and help. I’ve made the changes you suggest, both moving PHP to 900 seconds and setting the file size to 100MB. After running a couple of backups, we are still in the same situation. The backup runs, but the files never move from the web server to offline storage. My latest log file can be found here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9959831/log.9aae342b2c7a.txt

I’m open to your suggestions. Thank you

Dee Nutbourne

Hi Dan,

The backup is encountering a PCLZIP error. This indicates that there is a problem when attempting to add files to the backup archive.

A common cause of this is the hosting account being full. Could you please check the available space in the hosting account?

Best Wishes,
    David N

Dan
    Participant

90 gig free (off 100 total) currently. This all started when we ran out of disk space because of all the backups on the web server so maybe something is residual? But currently there is PLENTY of space on the webserver.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

The issue occurs on the Uploads backup. Please could you try two test backups:

• One with the Uploads excluded
    • A second backup of only the Uploads

Could you then send us the logs?

Best Wishes,
    David N

Dan
    Participant

Good morning. I’m sorry, it’s taken me some time to schedule both backups, let them run, then have time to download the log files.

The results.

Excluding the uploads directory, the backup works flawlessly and uploads in just a few minutes.

Excluding everything else, and only backing up the uploads directory, it does not work. It hangs as before.

Here is the link to the log file from this morning.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9959831/log.e85ab9ef0c13.txt

Obviously, it is the upload directory that is hanging up. Now the question is, what is in that directory that is the issue. It’s a large directory, but I have to assume it’s a particular file. So what is it? To my knowledge, there are only image files, and maybe a few old video files in the uploads directory.

Plese let me know next steps.

Thank you

Dan

Dee Nutbourne

Hi Dan,

The backup appears to be making progress (though slow) before it is cut off.
    Please could you (or your hosts) check and raise the PHP maximum execution time? This should allow each resumption more time to process the Uploads.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Dan
    Participant

Sorry again for the slow reply. I had previously updated the maximum PHP to 900 seconds where it remains. Do you mean that I should raise it beyond that amount? To what amount?

Dee Nutbourne

Hi Dan,

The last log entry for each resumption is made ~120 seconds after the resumption starts.
    This indicates that the process is being cut off earlier than the 900 seconds limit.

Could you ask your hosts if there is anything else on the server that may be limiting the maximum PHP execution time?

Could you also lower the Backup Archive split size to 50MB (in the expert settings section)

Best Wishes,
    David N

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Backup Going to Server Rather than Google Drive’ is closed to new replies.