Backup Hangs

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jim
    Participant

I started this at #330366 but have been too busy to provide the relevant information. My browser hangs quite often (but not always) after doing the backup and before doing the updates. If seems to hang more frequently if I lose focus on the browser window (but may just be my impression).

A video showing the hang and the end of the log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/twolngvnto5xgyv/Screen%20Recording%202019-03-05%20at%202.28.39%20PM.mov?dl=0

The log file itself: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p21q47m1o7ow4s/log.24325954ec42.txt?dl=0

Thank you for your help.

Bryle Crodua

Hi Jim,

Could you try to reduce the backup archive split size. This will split the backup into smaller, more manageable files.

To do this, open the ‘expert settings’ section of the UpdraftPlus Settings tab, and find the ‘split backups every’ option. Set this to 100Mb or lower value, save your settings and run a new process.

Do you still experience the same problem?

Regards,
    Bryle

Jim
    Participant

I reduced the size to 100Mb for all backups. Here it is hanging again, this time doing a simple database backup.

The first backup was completed at 10:52 and then the screen hung until I noticed that it was hung and restarted it at 13:32. On the video below you can see the end of the waiting time and then restarting the backup at 13:32 — and how it just hung again after the second backup was complete.

A video of the process can be viewed at https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgu87l3bwskptyd/log.bb4975c9d78c.txt?dl=0

The log file from the second time can be viewed at https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgu87l3bwskptyd/log.bb4975c9d78c.txt?dl=0

Browser: Chrome Version 72.0.3626.121 (Official Build) (64-bit) (the current latest version)
    UpdraftPlug Plugin: Version 2.16.6.24
    PHP: Version 7.3
    Provider: FastComet

Is there anything else that you’d like to know?

Jim
    Participant
    Jim
    Participant

Bumping…

Bryle Crodua

Hi Jim,

Have you entered the API key for DIVI? It is possible that UpdraftPlus is unable to proceed with the update as it is not connected to their licence server.

Regards,
    Bryle

Jim
    Participant

Yes, everything updates fine if I eventually kill the UpdraftPlus backup that’s hanging (see videos) and then either restart it (which sometimes works) or just turn off UpdraftPlus and do the backup without it. The problem is definitely in UpdraftPlus.

Bryle Crodua

Hi Jim,

Best thing to do is to manually create a backup before updating DIVI. This is done by clicking on the “Backup Now” button in the “Backup/Restore” tab.
    Then you can just skip the backup before update when updating DIVI.

Regards,
    Bryle

Jim
    Participant

So, the automatic backup function is broken when the DIVI theme is activated? This hang happens without regard as to whether I’m updating a theme or a plugin.

There are a lot of sites which use the DIVI theme, so I presume that UpdraftPlus would want to address a vulnerability in their product which causes it not to run with such a popular theme. Is UpdraftPlus working on this incompatibility or should I open a support ticket at Elegant Themes so they too can address this problem?

Jim
    Participant

Still waiting for a reply. Is the DIVI not supported for UpdraftPlus for all browsers? Or only under Chrome?

Jim
    Participant

Bump

Bryle Crodua

Hi Jim,

Apologies for the late reply.

It is supported in all browsers. Does it work for you when using Chrome only?

Regards,
    Bryle

Jim
    Participant

That was my original question. Does UpdraftPlus have problems when used with the Chrome browser?

My automatic-backups-before-updates continually hang. It doesn’t matter which of my web sites, whether I’m updating themes or plugins, and on sites using different themes. The only constant I can think of is that I usually use the Chrome browser.

You can see the various videos and logs that I’ve posted in this thread, all showing the hang.

I will try updating with other browsers and see if the problem is Chrome-specific (and perhaps with one of the Chrome extensions?).

This is extremely frustrating. Unfortunately, my UpdraftPlus subscription doesn’t expire until 2020-01-08, so I’m sort of stuck with it and would appreciate help solving the problem that I’m having with it. Thanks.

Jim
    Participant

I have been updating the same websites with Firefox and have had NO problem. At this point, I figure that it’s either the Chrome browser or — more probably — one of the Chrome extensions which is incompatible with UpdraftPlus. I don’t have time to figure out which one it is and so have moved to the Firefox browser.

IF YOU’RE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH UPDRAFTPLUS AND CHROME, try another browser such as Firefox.

Bryle Crodua

Hi Jim,

Browser extensions are also powerful that could cause conflict with UpdraftPlus. You would have to deactivate them one by one to know which is causing the conflict.

Regards,
    Bryle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Backup Hangs’ is closed to new replies.