Bluehost Emergency Updates

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bob
    Participant

I’m afraid Bluehost is once again confused about the version numbers on the paid and free versions of UpdraftPlus. They’re sending all my paid version clients emails similar to the one forwarded below. I’ve opened a tech support case explaining the error, but it will probably never get beyond Level 1 support–so let’s hope whoever is actually preparing the update has a clue and they don’t end up corrupting any installs.

———- Forwarded message ———-
    Date: Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 2:40 PM
    Subject: WordPress Emergency Plugin Update(s) for flyingsealsystems.com
    To: [email protected]

Dear Robert,

A new version of the WordPress plugin “UpdraftPlus Backup and Restoration” (1.9.64) has been released. A recent hack was found in older versions of this plugin which allows an attacker to perform Cross-site Scripting (XSS) with no authentication required.

Over the next 48 hours we will be making every attempt to upgrade any “UpdraftPlus Backup and Restoration” plugins to the most recent version 1.9.64. We strongly encourage you to check your plugin version to make sure it is on the newest version. We also recommend you update your WordPress installation(s), plugins, and themes to the most current versions to prevent any additional vulnerabilities.

<snip>

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

You ought to be safe this time. Paid UpdraftPlus versions now begin with a 2. in the version number – e.g. 2.9.64.1. So, presuming that their tool does any kind of version number comparison, the latest free version, 1.9.64, can’t be counted as later than any paid version, even if the paid version hasn’t been updated to the latest.

Best wishes,
    David

Bob
    Participant

Thanks–good point. That assumes, of course, that they’re actually smart enough to do a “greater-than-or-equal-to”, rather than just an “equal-to”. :)

Bob
    Participant

By the way, kudos for coming up with the 2.x idea. That was an absolutely brilliant solution to this problem.

Bob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Bluehost Emergency Updates’ is closed to new replies.