Can't connect to S3

Tagged: 

• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by udadmin.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ken
    Participant

Order #202 1260 80

ERROR MESSAGE——————–
    S3 settings test result: Failure: We could not successfully access or create such a bucket. Please check your access credentials, and if those are correct then try another bucket name (as another S3 user may already have taken your name).

The error reported by s3generic was: UpdraftPlus_S3::putBucket(valenssoftbackup, private, ): [7] Failed to connect to s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com port 443: Connection refused
    ——————

Need help determining what to do to connect to S3 account.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Ken,

That error message means that the network connected to S3 was blocked. This would, in turn, either mean that 1) S3 was having a temporary glitch (should go away in time), or 2) Your web hosting company is firewalling outgoing connections (in which case, you’d need to ask them to unblock it).

Best wishes,
    David

Ken
    Participant

Tried this again today with no success. Same error message. Just to cover the bases.
    S3 end point: s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com
    I’m using the same access and secret key with a S3 desktop app that works ok.
    The S3 location: valenssoftbackup

Appreciate any other ideas.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Ken,

I can tell you what the message means – that there’s no network connectivity in between your webserver and Amazon S3. (The fact that you’re using the same access and secret key with a S3 desktop app means that there is network connectivity in between your desktop computer and Amazon S3). I can’t diagnose why there might not be that connectivity… only your web hosting company, who have access to their network, can take it further than this diagnosis.

Best wishes,
    David

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,
    Just spoke with GoDaddy again. They insist that there’s nothing on their end that would prohibit a connection to an Amazon S3 account.
    k.

That sounds a bit like typical GoDaddy – if I read you rightly, they didn’t actually go through the steps of reproducing the problem and observe it in action, but just waved their hands and said it didn’t exist….

The error message does mean that it was not possible to make a network connecting to S3 from the webserver… one thing you could do to confirm that is install some other plugins that use S3 from the wordpress.org directory. You should get the same result. Though, you can also open the ‘expert’ section at the bottom of the UD settings tab… and tick the option to turn off encryption. Then it will attempt a connection on a different port. Depending on how/why the blocking is coming from, that one might work, (If the test does work, remember to save settings before trying a full backup).

David

udadmin
    Keymaster

I went through the items in the expert section. Nothing changed until I checked “Disable SSL entirely where possible:”

Then I received this notice
    S3 settings test result: Success: We accessed the bucket, and were able to create files within it. The communication with s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com was not encrypted. Failure: We successfully accessed the bucket, but the attempt to create a file in it failed. Please check your access credentials. (UpdraftPlus_S3::deleteObject(): [200] Unexpected HTTP status)

Hi Ken,

Interesting. Does the S3 user for this key have a policy attached to it that forbids deletion? The above message suggests at least that backing up should work, though deleting old backups is likely to fail. The next release of UD in a couple of days time has some improvements relating to how it reports S3 errors, which may give us more information to work with, if you can wait for that (assuming that backups now do work, if you save the settings with encryption off) – ?

BTW – email replies don’t come into the forum automatically – they go into a folder that has to be manually checked. Hopefully we can improve that in future when we get a moment…

David

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Can't connect to S3’ is closed to new replies.