Can't Download 'Uploads' Backup File

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Can't Download 'Uploads' Backup File

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cheryl Yancey
    Participant

I’ve created the backup (no errors indicated), then attempted to download the backup. All the other files (database, plugins, themes, others) download without issue. HOWEVER… “uploads” will not download. I’ve received all kinds of errors, like 503 errors, inactivity timeout errors, server not available errors, etc. I’m using the latest version of UpdraftPlus (downloaded today); the site is running the latest version of WP (I think… at least, it’s not nagging for a WP core update).

I’m sure it has something to do with the file size, and this probably seems like an “updraft for dummies” question… HOWEVER my goal is to migrate a site that needs testing, so I’m hesitant to make a lot of changes prior to migration.

I’ve done this same process many, many times with UpdraftPlus Migrator (LOVE THIS PLUGIN!!!), so I’m not sure what’s going on, or how to fix it while still maintaining a good “testing” situation.

Help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!! :)

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Please could you send a copy of the errors that you are seeing when attempting to download the Uploads backup?

Could you also send us a copy of the backup log? The contents will be too long to post here directly, but you can use an online service such as Dropbox or Pastebin, and post the link here.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Cheryl Yancey
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Cheryl Yancey
    Participant

I was able to go into FTP (via FileZilla) and download the Uploads backup file.

When I migrated the site and restored it, I received the following white-screen error:

Warning: parse_ini_file(): Filename cannot be empty! in /home2/cheryl27/public_html/viewmywebsitedraft.com/serenesmiles/wp-content/mu-plugins/gd-system-plugin/includes/class-configs.php on line 158

Warning: parse_ini_file(): Filename cannot be empty! in /home2/cheryl27/public_html/viewmywebsitedraft.com/serenesmiles/wp-content/mu-plugins/gd-system-plugin/includes/class-configs.php on line 158

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/cheryl27/public_html/viewmywebsitedraft.com/serenesmiles/wp-content/mu-plugins/gd-system-plugin/includes/class-configs.php:158) in /home2/cheryl27/public_html/viewmywebsitedraft.com/serenesmiles/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1179

And I can’t access the WordPress backend AT ALL. (See screenshot here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ceqzb8ymq6kb7m5/php%20error%201.png?dl=0 )

And this is what the frontend looks like: (https://www.dropbox.com/s/yntl6yxum57g0ip/php%20error%202.png?dl=0 )

Are these two issues related? How do I fix this?

Dee Nutbourne

Hi Cheryl,

The ‘Warning: parse_ini_file()’ messages come from a ‘Must Use’ plugin called ‘gd-system-plugin’.
    This is a background plugin used by GoDaddy’s managed hosting.

You will need to manually delete this mu-plugin. To do this, access the site via FTP and find the following directory:
    wp-content/mu-plugins
    You should see the ‘gd-system-plugin’ folder. Delete this folder.

The previous issue appear to ave been caused by a timeout while attempting to process the Uploads backup for download. What is the size of the Uploads backup file compared to the other sections?

Best Wishes,
    David N

Cheryl Yancey
    Participant

David N,

Thanks for your help.

I ended up having to delete the entire wp-content/mu-plugins folder in order to get the site working again. Once I did, it worked beautifully.

For the Uploads file: It was 392,186Kb, so that’s probably causing the timeout. Luckily I was able to download the file via FileZilla, so I can proceed with the site testing.

Is there an add-on for downloading large files? I seem to remember reading about one, but didn’t see one in the list. I have the Premium membership (Developer License), so if I can use an add-on in the future, that would be great.

Thanks!!! :)

Dee Nutbourne

Hi Cheryl,

There is a plugin for uploading large plugins and files to WordPress, the ‘Upload Larger Plugins’ plugin.

For downloading large backup files, I would recommend reducing the Backup files split size.
    To do this, open the ‘expert settings’ section of the UpdraftPlus Settings tab and find the ‘Split archives every’ option.
    Reduce this option to 100MB and save your settings.

This will not affect current backups, but future backups will be split into smaller files, which should avoid timeouts during the download.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Can't Download 'Uploads' Backup File’ is closed to new replies.