Checking a backup on my local machine – possible problems?

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Checking a backup on my local machine – possible problems?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Florian
    Participant

Hello,
    I want to use your migration tool to test a backup with XAMPP locally on my PC (I want to make sure that it’s fully functional).

How likely do you think is it that this breaks something on my online website (the one which provides the backup)? I know that it can’t damage my website directly, but I was thinking about side effects mainly from plugins that have things like authentication, login information, certain settings etc. If they detect a second installation, maybe this breaks something on my website, like syncing settings, deactivating due to duplicate login etc.

From your experience, can there be some sort of interference between my local installation and the original on my web host?

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Florian,

I can’t recall ever hearing a report of a problem; if a plugin is written properly, it will detect a domain change, and de-activate itself if it is the type of plugin that carries out critical actions (e.g. automatic subscription payments via a third-party payment vendor API). Other than remote APIs like that, one site won’t even know that another exists.

David

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Checking a backup on my local machine – possible problems?’ is closed to new replies.