Clone Website Only

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Creekmore Marketing
    Participant

Hello UpDraftPlus,

I am looking to clone an existing website for development purposes on a temporary domain, but ensure it is not migrated so that the existing website remains online. Is there any danger in still using the “migrate/clone” option and issue re-writes to the strings in the database? I would think it there would be no danger as the websites would be hosted on different domains, but I wanted to be sure to avoid a faux-pas.

Thank You in advance, and looking forward to your response!

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Michel,

I am looking to clone an existing website for development purposes on a temporary domain, but ensure it is not migrated so that the existing website remains online.

I didn’t understand this sentence very well… as the words are used in UpdraftPlus, “clone” and “migrate” are synonyms. I think how you are using them, there is some difference between them – but I am not sure what. (I am trying to work out what it means to “clone”, but “not migrate”). Please can you clarify?

Best wishes,
    David

Creekmore Marketing
    Participant

Hello David,

thank you for the reply, and my apologies for the misunderstanding of the question. I was originally concerned when cloning/migrating a site to a new server and doing a database url “search-and-replace” that it would also affect the original site; silly me, they are separate domains – the process worked great!

This ticket can be closed.
    Michel

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Clone Website Only’ is closed to new replies.