Communications error – timeout

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Patrick
    Participant

Struggling to get UDCentral working at ud.bongo.cc

Keep getting Communications error – timeout when trying to backup first site. Console log when viewing central page indicates

dashboard.js?ver=0.4.1:788 process_ajax_response: return code: error, error_code: timeout - parsed response followsprocess_ajax_response @ dashboard.js?ver=0.4.1:788(anonymous function) @ dashboard.js?ver=0.4.1:1041(anonymous function) @ class-udrpc.js?ver=0.3.3:754error @ class-udrpc.js?ver=0.3.3:680i @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:2fireWith @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:2y @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:4abort @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:4(anonymous function) @ jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:4
    dashboard.js?ver=0.4.1:789 Object {readyState: 0, responseText: undefined, status: 0, statusText: "timeout"}

UDC log on target site shows this:
    2016-10-12 18:48:10 +0000 [5.189.169.142] [0.central.updraftplus.com] Time in incoming message is outside of allowed window (7178 > 300)

So I have been trying to make sure both the UDC server and site server have the same time. I’ve masde sure that both the UDC server and target site server have the same system time and time zone. I’ve verified that both servers WordPress installations display the same time. I can completely interact with the target site from the UDC panel & all other communication seems to work fine, but when I attempt a backup from central, I get the timeout error.

The log from the target site shows
    2016-10-12 18:40:57 +0000 [5.189.169.142] [0.central.updraftplus.com] Time in incoming message is outside of allowed window (7178 > 300)

Any suggestions?

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Patrick,

7178 seconds is almost exactly 2 hours (7200 seconds) – that seems significant. Depending on your setup, the time on the computer with the web browser you’re using may come into play. If you use the settings icon in UC to increase the debug level, more will go into your web browser’s development console – I think if you set it to ‘3’ it’ll log all data sent over the network. It should be possible to dig the timestamp out of that.

David

Patrick
    Participant

I’ve been buried the past few days, so I haven’t been able to focus on this issue enough.

Yes – there’s clearly a limit to the time stamp offset that Updraft can work with, for obvious reasons. I triple-checked the clock settings for both the backup and the target systems, and verified them for both the machine hardware & software. Only then did I remember that WordPress itself has its own internal clock which can be set on the Settings -> General admin page.

I set both the source & destination WordPress clocks to the same time and time zone, but I was still getting the same error. At this point I need to find the time to be able to turn on verbose debugging and go over the messages.

I’ll let you know what I find.

Patrick
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Patrick
    Participant
    Patrick
    Participant
    Dylan Harris
    Participant

Hey @Patrick or @udadmin was there ever a resolution to this issue?

I’m experiencing a similar “communications error – timeout” when trying to update from UpdraftPlus.com to a website on a LiteSpeed WebServer.

Communications error – timeout
    There was an error in contacting the remote site. The request did not complete in a reasonable amount of time. You should check that the remote site is online, is not firewalled, has remote control enabled, and that no security module is blocking the access. Then, check the logs on the remote site.

The automatic backups (backup plugins before update) are triggered, but UC times out and the updates themselves never run.

I’ve tried each Connection Method in the Site Configurations except “Mothership” which I would prefer to avoid for want of not setting up a website just for this purpose.

The UC logs all say “Command received”.

The troubleshooting suggestions of checking firewall, checking security modules, etc have all been explored and so far no beans – except that the debugging output in UC indicates a blocked connection from UpdraftPlus.com to ‘/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php’

Any insight will be helpful! If you don’t have a immediate suggestions I can provide error logs and extensive details. Thanks in advance!

Dee Nutbourne

Hi @Dylan,

Please could you send us the IP address for your site? I will check our system and ensure that the connection is not being blocked from our side.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Frank Reinhardt
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I would to join this thread. I am using UpdraftCentral + UpdraftPlus Premium on almost 15 sites. If a start to process an update from UpdraftCentral I am always getting a ‘Communications Error’. On the webpages themselves with UpdraftPlus everything works fine.

I was already gone through your trouble-shooting guideline but couldn’t identify why the error occurs.

Best regards,
    Frank

Dee Nutbourne

Hi Frank,

Are you shown any error message beyond ‘Communications Error’?
    If so, please could you send us a copy of that message?

Best Wishes,
    David N

ft systems gmbh
    Participant

Hi

I want to join this thread, because I have the same problem – or it looks like it is the same problem.

If I update a Website I get two different errors: “Unexpected HTTP response code (503)” and “cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 30001 miliseconds with 0 bystes received”

I wanted to update the following:
    – WordPress core 4.8.4 to 4.9.1
    – Plugin NextGEN Gallery 2.2.14 to 2.2.18
    – Plugin Ninja Forms 3.2.3 to 3.2.4
    – Plugin TablePress 1.8.1 to 1.9
    – Theme Twenty Fifteen 1.8 to 1.9
    – Theme Twenty Sventeen 1.3 to 1.4
    – Theme Twenty Sixteen 1.3 to 1.4

The Backup was created successfully. After that the Upgrade of WordPress startet.
    Error “cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 30001 miliseconds with 0 bystes received”
    Interessting is, after a view minutes the Upgrade to the new wordpress version was successfull.
    But I had to restart the Upgrade of the Plugins and Themes.
    After “NextGEN Gallery” started the error “Unexpected HTTP response code (503)” came. I waited some minutes. The Upgrade was successfull. But again I had to restart the next Updates.
    And the same procedure with “Ninja Forms”.
    After that I just started one Update: “TablePress”
    That was working without an error.
    And the last there updates (Themes) were installed like a charm, even if I choose all there updates at once.

In the end every update was successful. But it took time to restart the task a view times.

I guess the problem could be the maintenance mode. Because the connection error is during the time when the maintenance mode is showing on the website. During an Upgrade it makes sense if the website is in maintenance mode. But it is confusing if Updraft reacts like above and is not waiting until the website left the maintenance mode.

In my opinion it is really difficult to reproduce this effect. Are there any log files with more details?

I can test other websites to upgrade. But first I want to get some information here, that I’m able to debug during the next Website upgrades.

Thanks for any response.

Cheers Michael

David
    Participant

Same problem with several sites.
    Big sites give this problem. Light sites seem to update ok.
    Thanks.

Frank Reinhardt
    Participant

Yes, it seems so. Backup on site went through but on Updraftcentral.com it shows an Communication Error which is wrong.

Finally backup hangs up on updraftcentral.com but not on the site itself. Unfortunately i have to initiate the Update process afterwards manually which is annoying.

Patrick
    Participant

WHY HASN’T THIS BEEN FIXED YET???

A year and a half is shameful.

Frank Reinhardt
    Participant

David, as this seems to be an ongoing issue. Is there any solution where you guys are working on?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Communications error – timeout’ is closed to new replies.