Different location for automatic backups?

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Different location for automatic backups?

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Updraftplus
    Participant

a little more info…

the Automatic backup started around 4:30am this morning did not complete, did not make it to dropbox and does not show up in the log…

but, on the server the following 2 files exist with time stamps of 4:55 AM
    backup_2015-01-28-0454_Singing_Resultscom_181e611c7ee9-plugins.zip.tmp – size 96MB
    log.181e611c7ee9.txt – size 18K

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,

There’s nothing sensitive in the log file – but feel free to attach it using the support form at https://updraftplus.com/paid-support-requests/ if you prefer.

Best wishes,
    David

Updraftplus
    Participant

Hi David,

I posted links here a week ago with explanation about what had happened around the time of the 2 log files.

The post is no longer here… and the description is unfortunately also missing.

I’ll put the links again, but don’t recall all the details about them now…

singingresults.com/tmp/log.6862f717b708.txt
    singingresults.com/tmp/log.181e611c7ee9.txt

Let me know if it’s helpful to try to reconstruct what might have happened when the log files were created.

Stephen

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Stephen,

Our logs don’t show any record of a previous post – so, I don’t know what happened there.

Thanks for the logs. They show the creation of the backup archives is what is taking the first 90 seconds. It starts uploading to Dropbox after that. The upload appears to go at only 500Kb/s – you will want to speak to the hosting company and ask them what your available bandwidth should be, and whether it’s congested due to some other cause, as that’s rather slow.

The creation of the zip file is a bit slow too, but this looks like it’s because there are very many small files, and they could be handled more efficiently. If you add this to your wp-config.php before starting a fresh backup, then the performance of the zip creation stage should improve considerably:

define(‘UPDRAFTPLUS_MAXBATCHFILES’, 2500);

David

Updraftplus
    Participant

Hi David,

Thanks for the info.

Is there anything you could coach me on to tell my hosting service other than “it’s slow”?

The server resources look great… no problems seen anywhere… just the backup takes a very long time to complete transfer.

The bandwidth on this account should be 100mbs… and i have no trouble uploading/downloading large files quickly using ftp.

The only thing that seems to be slow is UD to Dropbox… maybe it’s a dropbox issue?

So far all I get from Bluehost.com admin is “everything is fine on this end” and recommend checking with you.

Thanks for any further guidance,

Stephen

Updraftplus
    Participant

added the Define to wp-config and ran a backup… still taking 40+ minutes… here’s the latest log

singingresults.com/tmp/log.607907565b87.txt

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Stephen,

Where in wp-config.php file are you putting the line? According to the log file, it’s not taking effect, so I think you’re putting it too late.

In my experience, Dropbox receives data at a slower rate than any other storage solution (I don’t know why this is) – so, if you need a backup to complete faster, then you could switch to something else. The other thing you can do is ask how to increase the maximum amount of time that PHP can run for. UpdraftPlus, when killed off, resumes every 5 minutes. In your log, it looks like it gets killed off every 45 seconds. So it’s inactive the great majority of the time.

David

Updraftplus
    Participant

Hi David,

I put the define line at the bottom of the file.

Where should it be?

Stephen

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Stephen,

At the top, after the opening <?php, will suffice. It just needs to not come after the require_once() line.

David

Updraftplus
    Participant

update:

PHP max_execution_time was already at 300 seconds.

changed cgi timeout limits to match – this seemed to work or help a lot.. backups now completing in 5 minutes compared to 45min

udadmin
    Keymaster

That’s good to hear!

David

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The topic ‘Different location for automatic backups?’ is closed to new replies.