emojis are not supported

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    adnan
    Participant

hi,

when i backup and restored a site, emojis are replaced with ???? (question marks) . Please fix this.

Bryle Crodua

Hi,

Please could you send us a copy of the log for the restoration that encountered the issue? This can be found in the ‘wp-content/updraft’ directory of the new site.

Are you using any page builder plugin/theme (such as WPBakery) on your site?

Best Wishes,
    Bryle

adnan
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Thank you.

Please could check what collation is used for the database tables on the site you are migrating to?
    You should be able to check this information in your MySQL administration tool (e.g. phpMyAdmin)

Best Wishes,
    David N

adnan
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Thank you. I have passed this on to our developers for further investigation.

Best Wishes,
    David N

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,

We are currently working on this issue. This is caused by having define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8'); in your wp-config.php file on the site you back up, which indicates that you want to use UTF8 as your database character set, but then having characters from UTF8MB4 which are not in UTF8 (which includes emojis) in your database. We are currently working on enhancing UpdraftPlus to be able to detect and handle this situation automatically.

As a work-around, you can change define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8'); to define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8mb4'); on the site you are backing up, and take a fresh backup. If you have an existing backup that you want to use, you can decompress it, open it in a text editor, and change the SET NAMES line value near the top from utf8 to utf8mb4.

Our fix is for this issue has been developed and has been through its first rounds of testing. It is currently in the final testing/review stage and will hopefully be in a new release next week.

David

david282
    Participant

Any update on this issue? I’m having basically the same problem even after applying the change udadmin mentioned and making a new backup.

My wp-config has this:
    define(‘DB_CHARSET’, ‘utf8mb4’);
    define(‘DB_COLLATE’, ”);

I did a backup and verified that db file does indeed have:
    /*!40101 SET NAMES utf8mb4 */;

But only some emojis work, the others show up as “?”.

Looking at the log file I think the problem is the mysqldump command:
    0054.998 (0) Output: /*!40103 SET @OLD_TIME_ZONE=@@TIME_ZONE */;\n/*!40103 SET TIME_ZONE=’+00:00′ */;\n/*!40014 SET @OLD_UNIQUE_CHECKS=@@UNIQUE_CHECKS, UNIQUE_CHECKS=0 */;\n/*!40014 SET @OLD_FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=@@FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS, FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0 */;\n/*!40101 SET @OLD_SQL_MODE=@@SQL_MODE, SQL_MODE=’NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO’ */;\n/*!40111 SET @OLD_SQL_NOTES=@@SQL_NOTES, SQL_NOTES=0 */;\nDROP TABLE IF EXISTS wp_options;\n/*!40101 SET @saved_cs_client = @@character_set_client */;\n/*!40101 SET character_set_client = utf8 */;\nCRE (truncated – 1191 bytes total)

That seems to be setting UTF8 specifically.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I’m using UpdraftPlus Premium Version 2.15.5.24

Thanks

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

If possible, please could you send some examples of the emoji that are being replaced?

Best Wishes,
    David N

david282
    Participant

Sure, here are two:

https://emojipedia.org/headphone/
    🎧

https://emojipedia.org/books/
    📚

FYI, when I download and open the database backup file these emoji show up as “?” in the backup file itself.

*And just incase it helps, this emoji shows up properly:
    https://emojipedia.org/white-medium-star/

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Thank you. I will pass this on for further investigation.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘emojis are not supported’ is closed to new replies.