Errors in backup and SMTP

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Alexander
    Participant

Hello,

I am receiving errors from SMTP and from Updraft as shown here. The SMTP errors from my mailer plugin point to a specific line in the Updraft code, which I show in the screenshot. I think, though I can’t be sure, that this is a downstream effect of the Updraft error that is also shown in the composite screenshot.

Log Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/embed_js/PqCiY6KA

Alexander
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as moderator-only.
    udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,

This is a bug in WordPress’s built-in zip-handling library, triggered on PHP 8.0. See: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54036

To avoid the bug, do one of these:

1) Enable the PHP Zip module (php-zip) on your webserver (ask your hosting company how to do that if you don’t know). This will avoid use of WP’s built-in library. This solution is best, since php-zip is significantly faster.

2) Apply the patch given in the above link.

3) Temporarily downgrade to run on an older PHP version (e.g. 7.4) until WP core fixes the bug.

David

udadmin
    Keymaster

The WordPress core team has merged a patch for the PHP 8.0/zip fatal error issue for WordPress 5.8.1.

Alexander
    Participant

Hello,

Adding php8.0-zip resolved the backup error.

However, I am still receiving errors, as shown above, from the SMTP mailer on my site when the backup utility attempts to send email. This is the only application which is unable to use the SMTP mailer.

How can this be resolved?

Bryle Crodua

Hi,

Do you use SMTP plugin? Can you try to temporarily deactivate and see if you continue to receive the same issue?

Thanks,
    Bryle

Alexander
    Participant

I use this plugin. As shown in the original screenshot, it shows the exact location of the error in the updraftplus.php cause the error.

Alexander
    Participant

Hello,

There’s been no response to my last reply. I am still having the issue that UpdraftPlus, alone among all the plugins that send email from my blog, is causing an well-behaved SMTP utility to produce errors. Those errors point to the exact line of code in UpdraftPlus that’s generating the error.

If I disable the SMTP plugin, the error will disappear — as will all my other messages from other senders on the site.

I expect more from “paid” support than “It can’t be us. Turn off the other guy and see if the problem goes away.” That’s an acceptable answer for the free version — not for a paid plugin.

That’s an especially inappropriate response since in this case we know where in _your_ code the error is being generated. As a result, you could at least try to understand precisely what your plugin as attempting to that generates an error. It’s a simple path to debug this. We only need to answer the question, “What’s in the SMTP request that might be invalid.” Presumably, you have a log entry somewhere or a debug setting to capture this.

Or are you certain — absolutely certain and _can prove it_ through some external audit that your plugin’s logic and function with respect to the SMTP protocol is perfect? IOW, there’s no possibility in the known universe that your plugin might, under some circumstances you don’t yet know about, send invalid SMTP requests.

If not, you might want to reply with a better answer than, “It’s the other guy.”

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Apologies for the delay.

Please could I confirm the version number of WP Mail SMTP you are using, and if you have the free or premium version of that plugin installed?

If you are using an email logging plugin on the site, please could you send us a copy of the logged email headers?
    This will help us determine which part of the header is likely being rejected.

Finally, does the error occur if you enable the WP Mail SMTP plugin’s ‘Force From Header’ option?

Best Wishes,
    Dee

Alexander
    Participant

Hello,

I am using the free version WP Mail SMTP v 3.03. Logging is a feature of the Pro version. Since the site sends few messages, mainly to me, I do not need logging.

The force from email setting is, and always has been, set. This is because the SMTP server the site connects to is Office 365 Exchange Online. If the SMTP FROM: header is _not_ a known mailbox (actually, an Azure AD user with a mailbox in a known Exchange Online domain), the message is rejected. See the settings in WP Mail SMTP, with the Exchange Online email address obscured.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Thank you.

I have passed this on to our developers and will update you when I hear back.

Best Wishes,
    Dee

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Apologies for the delay.

I’m afraid that we have not been able to reproduce the exact issue you are encountering.

However, our latest updates contained some improvements for how emails are handled.
    Please could you update to the latest version, if you have not done so already, and let us know if you are still encountering the issue?

Best Wishes,
    Dee

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Errors in backup and SMTP’ is closed to new replies.