Extend Google Cloud Storage Option

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Extend Google Cloud Storage Option

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ft
    Participant

hi there,
    as stated in the following feature request, it would be awesome to be able to use service accounts for google cloud storage. this would make it much more secure – and the recommended way by google.

Google Cloud Storage – Service Account Support

now i see it may not be implemented any time soon. therefore i wanted to extend the google gloud storage addon and especialle the token method to get the token by the service account credentials. but i do not see any way to extend this addon/storage method and register it to updraft. it seems the available storage methods are hardcoded in the UpdraftPlus class. could you tell me if there is any way to do this? i would also share the code-repository with you and be happy to help implementing it in the plugin if any help is needed.

edit: further reasons for using service accounts: i can scope the access to a certain bucket (am using a single bucket for each website and do not want code to access other backups), it’s not bound to a single user account (the user might leave the company),…

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,

I don’t think it’d make sense to have two separate “Google Cloud” modules; one for service accounts, and one for non-service accounts. It’d be a lot better to have a “Service account?” tickbox in the Google Cloud module, and for the code to respond to that.

If you did code that, we’d definitely be interested in adding it to UpdraftPlus so that all users who want service accounts could benefit. Would you be interested in that? (That’s how the “Backblaze” module started off, with a user contribution). Once it’s in UpdraftPlus core we then do the work of keeping it up to date with other changes in the code-base, so you don’t have to – in return for contributing it, you effectively get ‘free maintenance/future compatibility’ of the code.

David

ft
    Participant

hi there,
    yes – i’m with you on that point. i just thought about extending it somehow manually as a workaround and found no way of adding anything to it.

that sounds good to me. i’ll take a look at the issue this weekend/next week and get back to you!

fabian

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Extend Google Cloud Storage Option’ is closed to new replies.