Feature Request: Dont back up thumbnails

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Feature Request: Dont back up thumbnails

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant

One of my client sites has about 6 GB of files in the /uploads/ folder. She has four years of uploads, and her site generates 6 different custom thumbnail sizes every time she uploads (ugh). I just tried running a backup, and it took over an hour and then finally hung up and didn’t complete. My workaround is going to be skipping the older upload folders (and just storing one backup of them manually).

But, I was thinking it would be nice to have an option to skip all thumbnail files in the backup. They could easily be recreated by the “Recreate Thumbnails” plugin if ever necessary, and it would save a TON of time, storage, and bandwidth.

BackWPup actually has this option. Any chance you could add it to Updraft Plus?

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew,

This isn’t currently possible. What you could do is go into the expert settings, and reduce the default ‘split’ setting down from 800Mb to something smaller; e.g. 200Mb; this will make zip file generation go a lot faster.
    Does the site actually use all those sizes of thumbnail? If not, you could just delete them and disable the generation of the unwanted sizes.
    Our next release, all being well, will also introduce incremental backups – i.e. backups which are not full backups, but which only add the files which have changed since the last backup. I think this will also save the time, storage and bandwidth.

David

Andrew
    Participant

Hi David,

Actually, I think I figured out how to do it. I added these entries to the exclusion list for the Uploads folders/files. Seemed to do the trick. :)

*144×144*,*150×150*,*300×226*,*332×190*,*332×225*,*x400.*,*x596.*,*700x*,*x1024.*

Thanks,
    Andrew

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Feature Request: Dont back up thumbnails’ is closed to new replies.