How do I transfer or deactivate license

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin How do I transfer or deactivate license

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Marcg
    Participant

When we migrate a site, we no longer need a premium backup license for the old location. Plus, every time I restore a different WordPress site to my test environment, it uses up another or our licenses. How do we deactivate licenses?

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Marc,

Licences aren’t transferable – if they were, then potentially for the price of 10 licences, we’d be facing giving support for 20 sites; which would mean we’d have to hike prices to pay for the averaged costs of giving support. It’s also intended that if you have both a development and a live version of the site, then you’ll use two licences – that’s why the smallest package comes with 2 licences.

However, on the positive side:
    1) You don’t actually need to install the Premium plugin if you are just taking a quick one-time copy of a site. The free version is plenty sufficient for that (unless they’ve stored data outside of WordPress and need the “More Files” add-on).

2) You can get discounted licences for upgrading to the ‘unlimited’ Developer licensing: https://updraftplus.com/faqs/are-there-coupons-available-for-discounted-upgrades/

Best wishes,
    David

David
    Participant

Having just purchased premium less than an hour ago I now feel duped. So a basic license lets me run a WP Network site, but to migrate three sites into that network with UDP I now need a business or developer license? Buyer’s remorse.

Gregg
    Participant

David,

I have a business license with ten activations. Some of the activations are for sites that no longer exist, that is they are on development sites that were taken down once the site went live. How can I get these activations back to assign them to another site? With other plugins (WordFence) I can activate and deactivate licenses on these sites that are taken down once the live site is up, so I am never using more than the number of licenses I paid for. Now I have two UpDraft licenses that don’t expire until February, but I can’t use them because they are assigned to sites that no longer exist.

Gregg

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi David,

Having just purchased premium less than an hour ago I now feel duped. So a basic license lets me run a WP Network site, but to migrate three sites into that network with UDP I now need a business or developer license?

That’s not necessary – you can use the free version of UpdraftPlus on the source site to create the backup, if you’re migrating a single site into a multisite network. Backups created by the free version are compatible with and usable by the paid version.

Please do take a look at the mini-licensing FAQ on the product page for the full picture: https://updraftplus.com/shop/updraftplus-premium/

Best wishes,
    David

Jfox
    Participant

A client wants their own Updraft license. Is it just a simple matter of connecting to their UpDraft account instead of mine (so they’re using their license)?

udadmin
    Keymaster

@Jfox: Yes.

Michelle
    Participant

A related question. I manage a site (and have an Updraft Premium personal account which supports up to 2 sites – and up to now I have only used one)

For example, current production site is abcd.com with Premium activated

I have redesigned my site completely at dev.abcd.com (but have not yet used up my second Premium license on the dev site)

I would like to:
    1. Backup all files from the new site – dev.abcd.com – with the intention of migrating them into the abcd.com level – and if I understand correctly, I would need to use up my second Premium account on my DEV install of WP, yes?
    2. Delete WP install and all files from the current production abcd.com
    3. Do a clean new install of WP at the root abcd.com level and install Updraft
    3. Migrate (restore?) my dev.abcd.com backup into the root abcd.com to make it my new production site
    4. Re-use my current Premium account (from the deleted WP install) on the new production abcd.com site so that I can automate backups, etc.

Is this doable? If the URL remains unchanged, can I re-activate the new install of WP (at the same URL) with my 1st Premium license?

udadmin
    Keymaster

Michelle: please can you open a new thread? Each thread gets emailed to everyone who’s taken part in it, so it’s not optimal if lots of different peoples’ questions all get tagged on a single thread.

Best wishes,
    David

dan47
    Participant

I’m also annoyed with this licensing scheme. There should be a way to deactivate a license that was assigned simply to create a backup for migration. I (now) understand that I didn’t need to burn one of my 10 to do this, but it never occurred to me to investigate. I’ve never seen a product that doesn’t allow for the deactivation of a license that is no longer used or was mis-applied. The assertion that “…potentially for the price of 10 licences, we’d be facing giving support for 20 sites…” is just baloney. If it were possible to deactivate licenses, how could this be true?

Lee Pappernow
    Participant

I just bought the $70 “Premium” upgrade – which allows for use on 2 sites. I needed the “Clone”/”Migrate” capability and decided to get the entire 2 site add-on vs the less expensive ($30) Migrator only. I am attempting to create a new dev “Test Site” on my local computer.
    But after:
    1) Carefully following all instructions and;
    2) Enabling the Premium Add-ons (all were enabled), and;
    3) Attempting to push a just made UDP backup of the working site from its remote saved location (DropBox) to the new “Test Site” on my local computer (turning of Firewall & AV 1st), I repeatedly get the same failure message (message irrelevant as this is now a license issue!), and;
    4) In order to rectify matters I CREATED AN NEW TEST SITE (with new URL) on my local computer, and;
    5) After installing the UDP plugin on the new (2nd) Test Site I then tried UNSUCCESSFULLY to enable the Premium Add-ons.
    6) I keep getting redirected back to the UPD purchase page where my only option is to shell out ANOTHER $70 BUCKS!
    7) I now have UDP Premium installed on ONE SITE ONLY (the working/lice site) and CANNOT INSTALL/USE MY 2nd LICENSE – which I assume was “used up” on the 1st Test Site – that never functioned due to clone/migration errors.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? THERE IS NO UNINSTALL LICENSE ROUTINE AND I NOW HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER LICENSE EVEN THOUGHT I ONLY HAVE A SINGLE ITERATION OF UDP PREMIUM IN USE?

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Lee,

If you’d like an only-temporarily used licence to be reset, please file a ticket here and the team will be happy to do so:
    https://updraftplus.com/my-account/updraftcentral-remote-control/

Please note that, as per the Migrator documentation – https://updraftplus.com/faqs/how-can-i-send-site-data-directly-from-one-site-to-another/ – you cannot send directly to a localhost website, because localhost is not a firewalled, non-Internet-reachable address. As such, you will need to use one of the other 3 methods for transferring the backup set to your local site; please see step 3 onwards of this guide: https://updraftplus.com/faqs/how-do-i-migrate-to-a-new-site-location/

David

RV Life Network
    Participant

Looks like now if I want to keep using your software I have to buy another license because the development site is not longer up and running, which is because of some hosting issues I had. Not being able to deactivate a license is truly ridiculous. You guys may think you are protecting yourself from people trying to cheat you and use the same license all over the place, but I would say you haven’t thought this through, and you are instead driving what would be loyal customers to a good product away because you are making them feel DUPED. Even if you built a limited number of deactivations and reactivations that would be better, but you have to do something, this is a very bad business model for a software provider… I feeling very disappointed and looking for another software solution. :(

Don’t underestimate your competitions ability to capitalize on this.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi Rob,

If your development site assigned to a licence no longer exists, or has moved location, we would be happy to reset that licence for you.

Please could you send us the URL of the site in question? You can set your reply to ‘private’ if you prefer.

Best Wishes,
    David N

RV Life Network
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • The topic ‘How do I transfer or deactivate license’ is closed to new replies.