I get 404 errors

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by udadmin.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tonyacooley
    User

after migrating, Every link is a 404 error. They look right, have the right name and everything, but it just gives me back a 404 error. Do I need to delete it all and try again?
    therapyfunzone.net/blog is the site.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Tony,

No – don’t delete it all; it’s nearly all fine. You’ve just not yet got the webserver set up to funnel all the links into WordPress. Usually that happens automatically (if your webserver is Apache). You can also try logging into the dashboard, going to Settings -> Permalinks, and pressing ‘Save’ – but that possibly won’t make a difference (since UD does the equivalent action automatically already).

How to get your webserver to do that is webserver-dependent – i.e. it’s not something WordPress can always do automatically. You should ask your web hosting company, if you’re not sure. It’s always a very simple job, and then you’ll be home + dry.

David

tonyacooley
    User

Ok. It’s working. I had to add code to my .htaccess file. Seems all better now.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Tony,

Glad you got it working. Normally Migrator does that automatically, so I’d guess there was something unusual in your file permissions that prevented it from doing so. Anyway, if it’s done now, then great!

David

daska3
    User

I am having the same problem – what code did you add and where to the the .htaccess file?

Answers VERY gratefully received!

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Daska,

The good news – you’re 99% there. Just a small tweak to your webserver configuration is needed. It looks like you have Zeus. See this: https://updraftplus.com/faqs/migrating-site-front-page-works-pages-give-404-error/

Best wishes,
    David

Kevin
    User

Please share the code you added in .htaccess I am having the same problem and the link in the FAQ does not provide info about it, just to check the permissions and trying to set the permalinks which does not work in my case.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Kevin,

I think that WordPress will output the .htaccess contents for you if you go to the dashboard, and Settings -> Permalinks and press “Save Settings”. It tries to write them out, but if it can’t, I think it displays the contents on the screen for you to write manually.

Best wishes,
    David

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Kevin,

I’ve just recognised your email address from your previous support request, which gives me more information on what you’re trying. You do need to get your multisite set up, with the .htaccess file, before you begin a migration (see the migration instructions here – https://updraftplus.com/faqs/how-do-i-migrate-to-a-new-site-location/ – see particularly the paragraph beginning “Note: If you are using a WordPress Network/Multisite install”). So, it seems that your question is more of a general “how do I set up a multisite site” question… permalinks have to be working as part of the multisite setup procedure; see: https://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network, so, if you’ve set up the blank multisite install properly, there ought to be already something in your .htaccess. Without more specific info, I can’t say more at this point.

David

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘I get 404 errors’ is closed to new replies.