Import DB Per Your Instructions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Liz
    Participant

Since the usual restore process did not work (for some reason Updraft restore said that the files were not available when they were listed right there on the list of backups and available in Dropbox), I am having to manually restore a database into a copy I made of the site (since the restore on original site was not working, I followed recommendation to make a copy).

I really would like help troubleshooting why I can’t restore Database on original site (have submitted a ticket but no answer).

In absence of that support, I am trying the manual restore route per https://updraftplus.com/faqs/i-want-to-restore-but-have-either-cannot-or-have-failed-to-do-so-from-the-wp-admin-console/

Plugins, themes, uploads and wp-core have been unzipped an uploaded to appropriate place on new domain. WP-config was edited so new database name and user login is correct. WP_HOME and WP_SITEURL parameters have been added to reflect new domain name.

If I import database with MYSQL admin, happens there? The backup database name is different. How will it write over what is there?

Bryle Crodua

Hi Liz,

Apologies for the late reply.

To update the links, you will need to run manually the search and replace the database tool. To do this:

• Go to the Advanced Tools tab in the UpdraftPlus dashboard
    • Find the Search/Replace Database tool
    • In ‘Search for’, enter the original site URL
    • In ‘Replace with’, enter the new site URL
    • Click ‘Go’

PLEASE NOTE, this performs a full search and replace operation on the database, and is not reversible. Please take extreme care when inputting the URLs.

After clicking Go, every instance of the old URL will be replaced by the new.

If this does not work, then it is likely that the URLs are either encoded in the database, or manually set in the theme files. In which case, you will need to update these links manually.

Best Wishes,
    Bryle

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Apologies, please could you let me know what email you used for the support request? I will double check if it reached us. (You can mark the reply as ‘private’)

If the backup is available from Dropbox, please can you download the file directly, then upload it through the ‘Existing Backups’ tab? UpdraftPlus should then be able to restore the file.

If you still need to import the database in by phpMyAdmin, you will need to first select the database to import into. You will also need to ensure that the database prefix is the same as in the backup.

However, one thing to remember is that the import will overwrite the whole database. As such, you will need to update the siteURL and WP Home again.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Import DB Per Your Instructions’ is closed to new replies.