Incremental Backups

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Paul.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Skillmind S.A.
    Participant

good morning,
    I would like to know if the incremental backups have a way to schedule the time? What method is the plugin using to allocate a time for these backups?
    Thanks

Skillmind S.A.
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as moderator-only.
    Bryle Crodua

Hi,

It is not possible to schedule a time for incremental backups. Please check this article for full info – https://updraftplus.com/how-to-use-incremental-backups/

Thanks,
    Bryle

Paul
    Participant

So what is the rule for when an incremental backup is made? For example, I have a weekly full backup and a daily incremental backup. How does UpdraftPlus decide when to do the incremental backup? The inability to set a time for an incremental back up (and the non inclusion of database backup in an incremental back up) makes it difficult to ensure that there is a database backup that corresponds to an increment. (It’s difficult to see how you could make the feature less useful or more difficult to use!) It appears – and I’m just guessing – that the incremental backup time is set for just after you first set the incremental backup interval and save the setting. Is that right? How can I reset it? If I ‘unset’ the parameter then reset it later, at a time I want, will that do it? Which means getting up at 2:00am. :-(

Bryle Crodua

Hi Paul,

You can set the time for the full backup and UpdraftPlus incremental backup has interval time schedule which you can also set.
    Please check this guide – https://updraftplus.com/how-to-use-incremental-backups/

I hope that answers your question.

Thanks,
    Bryle

Paul
    Participant

Hello Bryle

I’m afraid, no, you have not answered the question and that is very disappointing.

I have already read the earlier posts on this thread and the article on ‘how to use incremental backup’. It is clear that UpdraftPlus lacks a key feature: the ability to set the time (hour/minute not just interval) of the incremental backup. I have understood that, and you should be encouraging your developers to rectify this fault.

However my question was ‘HOW DOES UPDRAFTPLUS DECIDE WHEN TO DO THE INCREMENTAL BACKUP?’ and you have not answered that question. Not the interval, but the time – hour and minute on the clock.

I also asked a second related question: ‘How can I reset it?’. At the moment the incremental backup is happening at 13:05 each day (why at that hour and minute, I can only guess). I don’t want it to happen at 13:05. I want it to happen at 02:00. How can I reset my daily incremental backup so that it happens at 02:00?

Can I ask you please to try again to answer these questions?

Thanks.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Paul. Reason: missing word
    Bryle Crodua

Hi,

Apologies.

“the ability to set the time (hour/minute not just interval) of the incremental backup”
    > I’m afraid it is not currently possible to set specific time for incremental backups. Please post this to our feature request page here – https://updraftplus.com/feature-requests/. Our developers will look into the possibility of adding this feature.

“HOW DOES UPDRAFTPLUS DECIDE WHEN TO DO THE INCREMENTAL BACKUP?”
    >When you configure a time interval for your files backup, you are then able to choose an interval for incremental backups. When you choose an interval, UpdraftPlus will check every time this interval occurs if an incremental backup can be taken. If an original (i.e. full) backup is currently in progress, then it will do nothing. If it has finished, then UpdraftPlus will make an incremental backup (i.e. of all the files that have changed since the full backup finished). I’ve quoted the text here – https://updraftplus.com/tell-me-more-about-incremental-backups/.
    > If you set the full backup to run at 02:00 and every hour for incremental then incremental when run every hour after the full backup is finished.

“How can I reset it?”
    > Change the time of the full backup and save changes at the bottom of the page. Incremental backup needs a full backup schedule first before incremental backups are taken.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best Wishes,
    Bryle

Paul
    Participant

Hello Bryle

I have been on other work, so couldn’t follow this up before. Hence the delay.

I will make the feature request.

In the meantime, problem is no different. You say that I can reset the incremental back up time when I reset the full backup. But that is not true. Not in this case:

A weekly backup at 02:00 on Monday.
    A daily increment.

When I first set that up, it was 13:00, and the daily increment time got set to 13:00 – the time I was making the change.

Now I’ve changed the weekly backup time to 01:00. But the daily increment did not change.

So the truth is that once the daily increment time is set it can never get reset. Resetting the full back up time does not ‘reset’ the increment time of execution, not in the configuration of a weekly full backup and daily increment.

It is easy to view all this if you look at the cron events for a site. Now I have to resort to manually modifying the cron schedules to get the right times.

Regards
    Paul

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Incremental Backups’ is closed to new replies.