Large Backups Now Failing after Update

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Large Backups Now Failing after Update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    admin561
    Participant

Hello, and thank you in advance for any help.

We run a very large WordPress Multisite network* and have been successfully using Updraft to perform remote backups for at least 6± months. Suddenly the last two manual backup attempts take forever, or fail with the “Not Finished” message. The last attempt has been running for nearly three days. Past successful backups would take an hour or so.

What would I be looking for in the log file to indicate any problem? Our log file alone is 180+ MB, so I’d rather not upload it again. All the most recent 200+ log entries include “adding to final database dump” without any indication of a cause for the failure. Granted, I have not reviewed all the 1.6 million lines…

Last log message: backup_2018-04-09-1416_Tripawds_Blogs_2fbadcb2eee5-db-table-wp_3891_links.table.gz (10907/15423): adding to final database dump (Apr 11 09:17:20)

This is not an issue with max_timeout or memory limits as many backups have successfully completed before and nothing has changed on the server end.

I’m curious about the recommendation to “define(‘UPDRAFTPLUS_NO_BINZIP’, true);” since I found various old support topics suggesting that, with contradictory feedback here.

The issue started occurring after the most recent Updraft update to (Version 2.14.5.24).

Please advise how I can troubleshoot further.

*FYI: This is a legacy WPMU install later converted to a WPMS network, which has caused issues with certain plugins in the past. Though those problems should be irrelevant, since Updaraft is just dumping all data, not interacting with specific tables.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Would it be possible to split off the last few runs worth of the log (Each run is shown by the number in brackets on each line), and send us a copy?
    You would need to use an online service such as Pastebin, and post the link here.

Could you also check the PHP error logs for any errors occurring around the time of the backup?

Best Wishes,
    David N

admin561
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Thank you.

From the log, it appears that the backup is being timed out when attempting to finish creating the database backup archive, due to the large number of database tables.

If possible, please could you try increasing the max_execution_time to 600 seconds?

If you find that a backup is taking too long, you can abort it in the Current Status tab.

Best Wishes,
    David N

admin561
    Participant

If you find that a backup is taking too long, you can abort it in the Current Status tab.

Is there any way to pause and resume a current backup?

Don’t you find it odd that backups have completed successfully for months, but now fail ever since the recent plugin update?

I will increase max_execution_time as suggested and report back…

admin561
    Participant

So…how long would you expect a backup this size to run?

And what indication may there be on the Updraft Status page that a backup is failing?

I started another backup after increasing max_execution_time and it has been running 4+ hours. Not sure if I should abort…

Please review recent log file and screenshot, and advise.

Thanks again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsizx6hqqefq49p/log.233a3efa1523.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s78axrleb6zb3qw/updraft-status041318-1433.png?dl=0

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Apologies for the delay.

From the log, it appears that the backup was still making progress at the time.

Did the backup complete successfully?

Best Wishes,
    David N

admin561
    Participant
    admin561
    Participant

Will the log indicate when a backup is manually aborted?

I honestly can’t remember if I cancelled that backup, but do know it ran a very long time.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

From the log, it appears that the backup process is struggling with some files in the blogs.dir directory.

Are there any sub-sites with any particularly large files (such as videos)?

The log file should display if the backup is manually aborted.

Best Wishes,
    David N

admin561
    Participant

Are there any sub-sites with any particularly large files…

It is doubtful there are any massive files since we have a 25MB server limit for file uploads. There are, however, 1,100+ blogs so manually reviewing the folders is impossible.

Please advise how I might troubleshoot this further.

Are there any other server settings or Updraft options I might change?

admin561
    Participant
    Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Yes, you can delete the backups on the server.
    However, these should not have effected the backups, as the updraft directory is automatically skipped.

I will consult with my colleagues to try and find a solution.

Best Wishes,
    David N

admin561
    Participant

I started another backup, set for Database and Plugins only. It has now been running nearly 24 hours and I am getting a false warning about infrequent traffic. That’s a joke. Our stats prove that the site is visited constantly. We have very popular discussion forums, with hundreds of registered members using many different pages of the site, and blogs of the network, from all over the world, any time of day.

What other reasons might be causing these backups to start failing all of a sudden?

This started happening after the plugin was updated to the current version, and PHP was updated on the server to v.7.0.29. Previously, backups would complete within a few hours.

And now, attempts to load recent log file results in:

Loading log file … Internal Server Error (error)

The server error log reports:

[18-Apr-2018 17:53:41 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 333451264) (tried to allocate 4096 bytes) in /home/tripawds/public_html/wp-content/plugins/updraftplus/admin.php on line 2052

This also clearly appears to be a false warning considering Updraft reports:
    Peak memory usage: 85.203125 MB
    Current memory usage: 82.02734375 MB
    Memory limit: 1024M

Any further help troubleshooting this is greatly appreciated.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Apologies for the delay.

It appears that your new PHP installation does not have the php-zip module installed.
    As such, the (much) slower PclZip is being used.

Please could you ask your hosts/server admins to enable the php-zip module?

Best Wishes,
    David N

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘Large Backups Now Failing after Update’ is closed to new replies.