Migrate In Situ

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    paul.b
    Participant

I have a standalone wordpress installation which runs under domain A as a development site.

I need to update that installation to run under domain B. There are loads of internal links that I need to have updated.

Can I effectively migrate in situ using UpdraftPlus?

I’m thinking:

1. Create and download a migration set.
    2. Change the domain on the installation
    3. Restore from the migration set

Is something like that possible please?

Bryle Crodua

Hi Paul,

That is what UpdraftPlus is for. All the old URL’s will be automatically replaced with the new URL.
    We have a step by step migration guide here – https://updraftplus.com/faqs/how-do-i-migrate-to-a-new-site-location/

Regards,
    Bryle

paul.b
    Participant

Thanks Bryle

I had read that article previously but I found the intro confusing

“This question … is not about restoring your site into the same webspace it was in before…

In the example below, we are migrating into a completely empty WordPress site (i.e. a new install which we made). However, you can migrate into an existing site – for example, if you are updating a development/test version of your website with a new upload. If you’re doing that, then you’ll be able to skip a few of the steps below.”

These two paras seem to contradict themselves.

I want to take a manual migration copy, change the URL of the current site on the same server i.e. the exact same installation, and then migrate the manual backup on top of the existing installation. I am still unclear (and it’s probably me being dense) whether that is doable.

Bryle Crodua

Hi,

Apologies if that cause confusion.

However, that should be the guide that will help you migrate your site on any url or location you like.
    You can do some tests to see how it really works.

Regards,
    Bryle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Migrate In Situ’ is closed to new replies.