:Migrating: Must receiving site must have same WP version?

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin :Migrating: Must receiving site must have same WP version?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    send2ds
    Participant

I’m using Migrate/Clone to send my test site to completely overwrite the live one via remote key sync. Does my source site have all that is needed to migrate/erase the old? Must the WP core be the same? IOW, the old, live site has an older WP version. Will my migrated site have the new WP core version or must I update manually before I migrate.

What is the process for reinstalling the old site if there is a problem? I have Updraft Plus backups of the old site on the old site’s server but backups do not include the outdated WP version (I assume) that ran it. Am I stuck if the update doesn’t go well?

The reason for my caution is that I must also update the PHP version on the old site before migrating and I’d have to downgrade to the obsolete version before restoring (5.4) hoping it works.

Thanks.

send2ds
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as moderator-only.
    Bryle Crodua

Hi,

WP core file is option. As you can read from our FAQ here – https://updraftplus.com/faqs/need-back-wordpress-core/

We have a video on how to migrate a site – https://youtu.be/g505oUe8PJo (You can start watching at 0:50 seconds).

Regards,
    Bryle

send2ds
    Participant

Thank you. Details are missing, though. It is not as simple as described and no reference good reference to troubleshooting. I’m migrating now and after two hours the destination site’s Existing Backups section only shows “Plugins (2), with note: you appear to be missing one or more archives from multi-archive set, total 0 B” and “Uploads (2), with note: same as with plugins message. 25.1 MB”. No Themes, Database or Other. But data is loading with very long timeouts. I should probably abort and start from scratch. Ahh, 2.5 hours gone now.

Destination and Sending site have same Updraft version.
    Updraft: 2.16.34.24

Sending site PHP: 7.xx
    Receiving: 5.6.40

Downgraded from php 7 on Destination site b/c the front end was broken and file migration seemed to go quicker.

Mac 10.15.7
    Safari

Note to Site ADMIN: Navigating support on the site is very difficult, frustrating and time consuming. Nearly impossible to find troubleshooting hints for my issue. Oh, the Training Materials section! Never would have guessed. Shouldn’t that be under Support? Yet where do we go if we followed all the steps and still have difficulty, like long delays and strange messages, like above?

send2ds
    Participant

It looks like the destination site timed out finally or otherwise didn’t allow the more data to transfer (about 800 MB total required, mostly in “Uploads”). I’ll do another full backup of the sending site (which is then sent in UpdraftPlus Vault).

1. Can I then use the same key to continue?

2. Can the destination site download directly from Vault? If so, probably the the destination time out will occur anyway.

2. Can I transfer the plugins, themes, database, etc., separately to the destination site via Migrator (to avoid timeout)? Can they then be used to restore/overwrite using the migration process as normal?

3. What about using FTP to move them (or just Uploads, the largest) to the destination site? How would I use that method and still be able to access the complete “database restoration process” via migrator?

Thank you for your reply.

send2ds
    Participant

I tried re-migrating just the database, themes and plugins to the destination while saving the much larger Uploads for later. The process timed out when I checked after 6 hours. I got the “site not having enough visitors” warning. The database transferred, plugins started but with 0 B, no sign of Themes and Uploads received 150MB out of 730MB transferred before quitting. I didn’t tick Uploads to transfer!

Would appreciate some expert, detailed guidance at this point.

Thank you.

Bryle Crodua

Hi,

Apologies for the delay.

Can you also please send us a copy of the migration log?
    You can find this log in the ‘wp-content/updraft’ directory of your new site location.
    You can send the log file and copy the contents into an online tool (such as https://pastebin.com/ )

Best Wishes,
    Bryle

send2ds
    Participant

You can send the log file

I don’t understand. Send the log file where?

copy the contents into an online tool (such as https://pastebin.com/ )

Done. How do you access it?

How about I attach the log file as a .txt in a private reply?

send2ds
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Bryle Crodua

Hi,

Please can you make the pastebin URL public? Just set an expiration of the paste.

Thanks,
    Bryle

send2ds
    Participant

Done.

Thank you.

Bryle Crodua

Hi,

Thank you!

It shows that the transfer could not successfully succeed because of this “42059.954 (8) [Warning] Your website is visited infrequently and UpdraftPlus is not getting the resources it hoped for; please read this page: https://updraftplus.com/faqs/why-am-i-getting-warnings-about-my-site-not-having-enough-visitors/”. You can read more about the warning message by following the URL shown from the message.

I believe the best workaround is to manually download and upload the files. See other ways on how to send backups to your destination site on step 3 of our migration guide here – https://updraftplus.com/faqs/how-do-i-migrate-to-a-new-site-location/

Thanks,
    Bryle

send2ds
    Participant

I appreciate the helpful links, especially the manual download/upload one.

When I download via the Updraft plugin dialog in the source site, I find I have two Themes files, two Plugins files, and 29 Uploads files to download. Must I manually download all and upload all to the destination?

From Step 3 of the migration site:

To import your backup files using method 2 (manually), go to the settings page on your destination site, click on “Restore” and then click on “upload backups files”. A drag-drop widget will appear:

The Settings page on the destination site has no options as shown in the graphic. It shows only settings for backups.

Looks like I need to download those files from my source site using FTP, how do I know which are the complete set for each category?

The embedded video at the bottom of the page is a dead link.

send2ds
    Participant

I manually downloaded/uploaded all 36 zip files via the cPanel of the respective sites. The receiving site’s Updraft folder contains all transferred zip files. However, they aren’t recognized in destination site’s Backup/Restore dialog. I did a rescan of the local folder, but they doesn’t show.

The Updraft install seems to be unresponsive as I cannot delete prior backups either. Version: 2.16.34.24.

Can I just get some direct, one-to-one support with this instead of waiting 24-hrs for each small step, please? I’m really wearing out.

Thank you.

Bryle Crodua

Hi,

I’m afraid you need to purchase a support request here for our hands-on support.

If you want, I can manually check your site. Are you able to provide me access? Can you also share a copy of your backups please?

Thanks,
    Bryle

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The topic ‘:Migrating: Must receiving site must have same WP version?’ is closed to new replies.