Moving from a live install to local

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Moving from a live install to local

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anthony
    Participant

I currently have a live install. And I have a backup.

I want to migrate this to an empty project locally so I can make some updates – then migrate back.

I currently use MAMP to run my local environment.

What is the process for initially creating this?

With other backup solutions, I would normally have just 1 zip of the site contents that I would copy over – then I would create the database, import the database dump (having done a find and replace for the URL) and edit the wp-config for the DB settings.

I am hoping that this plugin makes it easier – but I cannot see how.

BTW – this is a multisite network.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi Anthony,

We actually have a step-by-step guide for migrating a site to a fresh installation of WordPress:
    https://updraftplus.com/faqs/how-do-i-migrate-to-a-new-site-location/

You will need to ensure that the new WordPress installation has been set up as a Multisite Network before performing the migration.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Pete
    Participant

I am developing a site on my hosting account and when ready wish to migrate it to an existing published site. Turnover time is important. I have the Migrate Plugin.

How should I prepare my live site ready for the transfer. Is the only way to start with an empty WP?

Regards
    Pete

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Pete,

No, the destination site doesn’t need to be empty. UD will replace whatever is in the destination site (empty or not) with the data from the backup.

David

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Moving from a live install to local’ is closed to new replies.