Multi-site Migrate Problems

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant

Greetings,

We just purchased a personal premium license (Version: 2.11.12.20) but eager to buy a developer license if we can get this working.

We uploaded and activated UDP premium on the source network WP site (S). We also activated the add-ons. They all have a green checkmark.
      We took a full backup of S. Success!
      We installed a brand new, empty network WP destination site (D)
      Uploaded UDP to the network admin plugin dashboard, activated it and also activated the add-ons. All add-ons have the green checkmark.
      We then downloaded the UDP backup zip files from S and FTP’d them to D.
      D recognized them. We pressed restore on D, but we do not get the migrator checkbox option for database replace.
      We figured we’d try anyway and do the site URL and database cleanup afterwards. However, after processing the restore for a while, we got a 500 or 503 error, probably due to intensive resource utilization, after which we logged in to D again in a new window.
      The D site is now saying that old WP files are retained and suffixed with ‘-old’ but there does not appear to have been any migration. Nothing has changed. The D site is still empty / vanilla.

<embarrassed>
    Admittedly I just realized my source and destination are running different versions of WP. S is running 4.2.5 while D is a new vanilla MU site running 4.3.1. Is this my issue?
    </embarrassed>

Any other thoughts?

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,

It sounds rather like you didn’t upload the database backup to the destination site. This would explain the symptoms: if no database is included, then there’s no checkbox to search/replace the database… and the site content won’t change, because site content (including posts/pages) is basically in the database.

If you can link your migration log – which can be found in wp-content/updraft on the destination site – then this can be confirmed one way or the other.

David

David
    Participant

Ooops! Wow, don’t know how I didn’t catch that. I’ve tried this migration so many times with other, inferior tools that this time I missed that file.

So now I’ve done the following:

1. Blew away the destination (D) site
    2. Did a fresh MU install for D
    3. Again setup UDP there and activated it.
    4. This time, the database replace option was available so I checked it.
    5. After pressing restore, it was processing for a long time with browser status bar = ‘Waiting for myexampledomain.com…’
    6. This time I noticed that behind your UDP pop-up where I clicked restore, I was prompted to relogin because my session was oddly expired. I logged in with the source (S) credentials (not destination) which were happily accepted. But again I continued to wait with browser status bar = ‘Waiting for myexampledomain.com…’
    7. Finally, once again I got a server 500 error. Upon hitting reload though, it appeared as though the migration was successful.

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong now. Now I have these issues:

1. The first site of the network, sort of the parent site, has broken image references
    2. The sub-site (or all the sites besides the first one) have a dashboard with no styling whatsoever.
    3. When I click on ‘Sites’ on the admin dashboard, the links displayed for each site appear correct but when you hover over ‘visit’ for each site, the subdirectory in which the network site was installed is missing, rendering the sites as 404 not found obviously.

I will attach the log and screenshots in my next message.

Thank you,
    David

David
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Dee Nutbourne

Hi David,

From your log, it appears that the migration was timed out while trying to unpack the Uploads. As such, the uploads and ‘others’ backups were not restored.

Try another restoration, this time only selecting Uploads and Others to restore.This will give more time for unpacking those files. (These are the last things to be restored)

This should at least fix the broken image references. Then we can continue from there.

Best Wishes,
    David N

David
    Participant

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion by only selecting uploads and others. It seems like it’s still timing out on the uploads.zip. Again, after processing for a while I got a 500 internal server error. Only now, I can’t even pull up a site or dashboard. It just thinks a long time and then I get a blank screen (not a white screen, just a blank screen).

I’ll attach the latest log.

Thanks,
    David B.

David
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Dee Nutbourne

Hi David,

Your server appears to be very overloaded, and it is taking a very long time to unpack each backup file. You will need to contact your host and ask them to investigate if the server is overloaded, and if they have any I/O limits enforced on their servers.

In the meantime, you will have to manually restore the Upload backups. To do this, download the backup files, unzip them on your local machine and then upload them via FTP to your wp-content/uploads directory.

You should be able to restore the Others backup through UpdraftPlus normally.

Best Wishes,
    David

David
    Participant

Thanks David. I did the manual FTP of the uploads directory and now I seem to be in business. The only strange thing was this:

Despite doing the database migration and checking the box for the URL replacing function, for each ‘child’ site, in MySQL the WPtableprefix_sitenum_options table had the siteurl and home values missing the WP install directory. So for example, instead of myexampledomain.com/install-dir/site-subfolder/ it had myexampledomain.com/site-subfolder/

The main ‘parent’ site did not have any issue. It came across properly as myexampledomain.com/install-dir/

I manually updated the database and all seems ok.

Was that avoidable? Did I do something wrong in the migration to cause that?

udadmin
    Keymaster

Was that avoidable? Did I do something wrong in the migration to cause that?

Unlikely to be anything you did… if you share the backup set (e.g. via a Dropbox or Google Drive shared link), then we can try to reproduce it and fix any bug that turns up. A sub-folder multisite install that is itself in a sub-folder is fairly unusual, so it may not be the most tested path. (Even for a dev copy, people tend to do it not in a subfolder, but using .dev or .localdomain).

David

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Multi-site Migrate Problems’ is closed to new replies.