Multiple Backup Delete

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bob
    Participant

I just updated to 2.11.12.20. Attempted to follow the instructions for multiple backup delete at https://updraftplus.com/faqs/how-can-i-delete-multiple-backup-sets-at-once/. I’m not able to select backup sets as described. All control-click does is to bring up the context menu. Tried various other key combinations and clicking in different places–nothing results in selecting a backup set as is shown in the instructions.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

Probably something else on the computer or browser or website site is intercepting the pressing of Control… you’d need to go through a process of elimination to work out which.

David

Bob
    Participant

I’ve just tried it on multiple sites/machines/browsers. And I think here’s where the problem lies: It always works if I’m using a PC, always fails if I’m using a Mac. On a Mac, the control-click combination has a special meaning: bring up the context menu. It accomplishes the same thing as a right click on a mouse, but is intended for MacBooks with their trackpads and Apple one-button mice. It’s one of the most fundamental keyboard/mouse combinations on a Mac, and I suspect the O/S intercepts it at a low level.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

If you edit wp-content/plugins/updraftplus/includes/updraft-admin-ui.js in a text editor and find the line…

if (! e.ctrlKey) return;

… and replace it with :

if (! e.ctrlKey && ! e.cmdKey) return;

… then use the command key: does that work? (Make sure you reload the page first; you may also need to flush your browser cache, and/or try a different browser, otherwise the changed JavaScript may not actually load).

David

Bob
    Participant

That doesn’t work. And I can follow it in the debugger and see it fails the test.

But if I change it to:

if (! e.ctrlKey && ! e.metaKey) return;

that DOES work.

Some quick Googling led me to a few Stack Overflow discussions about the meaning of metaKey on different keyboards, so while it does work on the Macs I tried, I’m not sure it’s the end of the story. I did try a bunch of other modifier keys (on Mac, not PC), and only the command key resulted in the backup row selection.

Thanks.

Bob

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

OK – we’ll add that to the next release.

David

Bob
    Participant

Great. But just to confirm, I’m not sure that simply adding metaKey might not have some unwanted side-effects–perhaps on a PC or Linux client. That’s something you’re going to research if necessary, correct?

Thanks.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

On a Windows keyboard (which is also what Linux users generally have), it’s the Windows key. So, it’d open the Windows menu if they press it. But they should press the Control key instead.

David

Bob
    Participant

Ah, OK.

Thanks again.

Bob

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Multiple Backup Delete’ is closed to new replies.