Multiple problems

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Robert Meador
    Participant

I started with the free version but since we have additional tables, moved to the paid version.

After running a backup, I get notification that the backup is complete and successful. After a while I get an email with the backup file attached (as I have set it to do).

Problem 1:

Within WP admin, when I go to Existing Backups and click on Database to download the database, it finds the file. I then click the next download button and I get a blank white screen with “File not found”.

Looking in FTP in the updraft folder, I see the backup file with a size of zero kb.

Problem 2:

When I attempt to import the file that was emailed to me using Sequel Pro I get the following errors:

[ERROR in query 11] Invalid default value for ‘user_registered’
    [ERROR in query 12] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_users’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 17] Invalid default value for ‘scheduled_date_gmt’
    [ERROR in query 18] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_actionscheduler_actions’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 20] Invalid default value for ‘date_created_gmt’
    [ERROR in query 25] Invalid default value for ‘log_date_gmt’
    [ERROR in query 26] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_actionscheduler_logs’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 30] Invalid default value for ‘comment_date’
    [ERROR in query 47] Invalid default value for ‘timestamp’
    [ERROR in query 48] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_itsec_logs’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 49] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_itsec_logs’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 50] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_itsec_logs’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 51] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_itsec_logs’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 52] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_itsec_logs’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 64] Invalid default value for ‘link_updated’
    [ERROR in query 131] Invalid default value for ‘post_date’
    [ERROR in query 132] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_posts’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 133] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_posts’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 134] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_posts’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 135] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_posts’ doesn’t exist

Problem 3:

I have enabled “Backup non-WordPress tables contained in the same database as WordPress” but none of the non-WP tables are showing up in the backup.

Please advise?

Robert Meador
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as moderator-only.
    Vanessa

Please could you send us a copy of the DB Backup?
    These can be found via the Existing Backups tab on the original site.

If possible, please could you also send us some screenshots of the issue?

The contents will be too long to post here directly, but you can use an online service such as Dropbox, Google Drive or Pastebin/snag.gy, and post the link(s) here.

Robert Meador
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Vanessa

Hi,

Please could you send us a copy of the backup log so we can see what’s going on? You should be able to find this in the wp-content/updraft directory of your site via FTP or in the Backup/Restore tab.

Robert Meador
    Participant

I added the latest log to the previously provided Dropbox folder.

aporter

Hi Robert,

So problem 1 is a bug you can’t download a backup from email so the UI shouldn’t allow you to do this, to download from email you have to download the attchement from the email. We have a fix for this thats currently going through testing.

For problem 2 make sure that you select SQL as the type when importing the database backup sql file not CSV (you might have to extract the sql file from the database gz zip file, I’m not sure if sequal pro accepts .gz archives).

For problem 3 I’m not able to reproduce this on my side, I also don’t see the issue in the backup or backup file you sent.

So the backup you sent and the backup log are from different backups.

The backup log shows that all tables will be backed up and theres also no mention of any tables being skipped.

The non wordpress tables found in that logfile also appear in the backup you sent.

What tables are missing so I can check the log and backup for mentions of them?

Best Wishes,

Ashley

Robert Meador
    Participant

So problem 1 is a bug you can’t download a backup from email so the UI shouldn’t allow you to do this, to download from email you have to download the attchement from the email. We have a fix for this thats currently going through testing.

I have instructed Updraft to retain 30 or so backups on the server. Yes of course if a backup is emailed I would expect to grab the backup from the email, but if I instruct it to retain backups on the server they should be there. So the UI SHOULD allow me to do this (which it does). It just needs to work.

It appears it does not work because the file is zero bytes in size.

As I mentioned in my June 11 post, the backups that are now being created do contain all tables. Problem 3 is solved.

Regarding the import errors – I just tried unzipping and importing last night’s backup. The file doesn’t have a suffix but when I import, SequelPro defaults to specifying that it’s a SQL file. The same problem occurs – in SequelPro I get a string of errors:

[ERROR in query 12] Invalid default value for ‘user_registered’
    [ERROR in query 13] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_users’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 18] Invalid default value for ‘scheduled_date_gmt’
    [ERROR in query 19] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_actionscheduler_actions’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 21] Invalid default value for ‘date_created_gmt’
    [ERROR in query 26] Invalid default value for ‘log_date_gmt’
    [ERROR in query 27] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_actionscheduler_logs’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 31] Invalid default value for ‘comment_date’
    [ERROR in query 46] Invalid default value for ‘timestamp’
    [ERROR in query 47] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_itsec_logs’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 48] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_itsec_logs’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 49] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_itsec_logs’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 50] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_itsec_logs’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 51] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_itsec_logs’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 63] Invalid default value for ‘link_updated’
    [ERROR in query 89] Invalid default value for ‘post_date’
    [ERROR in query 90] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_posts’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 91] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_posts’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 92] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_posts’ doesn’t exist
    [ERROR in query 93] Table ‘micro_test.wp_mic_posts’ doesn’t exist

Attempting to import via phpMyAdmin and it times out, despite pretty generous PHP settings. Will try a command line import next. But at least it doesn’t error.

I just added the latest backup and the log from that backup (so they match each other) in the subfolder “latest 2021-06-15” in the Dropbox folder I previously shared.

Robert Meador
    Participant

Attempting to import via command line I get the same error:

> ERROR 1067 (42000) at line 595: Invalid default value for ‘user_registered’

Did some Googling, found references to SQL_MODE, and compared the phpMyAdmin generated backup (which works) with the Updraft one. phpMyAdmin version included this line near the start:

SET SQL_MODE = “NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO”;

I popped that into the Updraft backup and it worked. Apparently the default value specified for DATETIME fields by WP is not legit unless this line exists.

I do see many references to SQL_MODE in the Updraft generated backup but they are all commented out. Is there something that should be done to enable this to work? And, why doesn’t everyone have this problem?

aporter

Hi Robert,

The issue described in problem 1 is a bug I’ve fixed, when you try to download a backup from email (and the backup doesn’t exist locally) it creates the file ready to write to it as the contents get download from remote storage, but as we can’t download from email it fails. This leaves behind a 0 byte file.

This is fixed in our development version.

But in your previous reply you said you have told Updraft to keep 30 backups.

Note the retain backup settings does not keep local backups, the retain setting tells updraft how many backups should be kept before old ones are deleted, so if you keep 30 backups when you create your 31st backup, then the very 1st backup will be deleted.

There is another setting that tells updraft to keep backups locally after they have been sent to a remote storage.

You can find this setting in the UpdraftPlus settings, on the “settings” tab, scroll down until you see “show expert settings” then make sure “Delete local backup” is unchecked.

Then save your settings.

Best Wishes,

Ashley

Robert Meador
    Participant

I found and unchecked that setting, but notice this:

i.e. if you uncheck, then any files despatched remotely will also remain locally, and any files being kept locally will not be subject to the retention limits

Does this mean that my setting to keep 30 backups will be ignored, and more than 30 backups will be kept?

Any thoughts regarding my comment about SQL_MODE?

aporter

Hi Robert,

Yes that is correct.

As for the SQL_MODE when you restore via UpdraftPlus it will read these commented SQL_MODE lines and set them on a per table basis.

If you want to restore via Sequel Pro you can either manually add that line to the backup file as you did previously or there maybe a way to set that SQL_MODE in the program.

Best Wishes,

Ashley

Robert Meador
    Participant

Yes that is correct.

Well I’m not sure I’d call it “correct”. What is the use of a “retain 30 backups” setting if it is ignored? Why not let the user determine how many backups they want to leave on the server independent of offsite storage?

Re restoring: So the assumption is that you would restore the backup via UpdraftPlus? Meaning you need a functional WordPress site, with a functional UpdraftPlus plugin, before you can restore your database? What does that look like?

– Site is hacked, I want to restore the database
    – I either can’t access admin or don’t trust it due to hackery
    – I need to wipe the current database to prompt WordPress to generate a new one
    – Whatever other config is necessary to get logged in and access to UpdraftPlus
    – Then I restore the db, replacing the one I created with the backup

Wouldn’t the default restoration process be to access phpMyAdmin via hosting control panel (or MySQL via command line) and restore a backup that way?

Updraft makes some assumptions that to me seem oddball and nonstandard. Don’t you think?

aporter

Hi,

The retain X backups feature will retain a set amount of backups locally (if no remote storage option is selected) or remote if one is set.

The option to keep local backups is an extra option on the assumption that users do not want to keep thier backups locally after they have been uploaded to remote because most users have limited space on the servers. Some hosts also prevent users from storing backups on their servers.

But the wording of that option is slightly confusing, it means local backups (non remote) are not subject to retain limits, remote backups where you choose to keep the local copy are subject to retain limits.

So if you don’t upload to remote storage and have that option checked then no local backups will be deleted (as you have asked for local backups to be kept, so it ignores the retain limits).

But if you do upload to remote storage and ask to keep local backups then the retain limits will work and older backups do get deleted.

But any manual backups created and not uploaded will be kept and are not subject to the retain limit.

For restoring the steps you listed are one possible way to restore, which is what most users would do as it’s the easiest way (most hosts would give them a fresh WordPress install), they then install UpdraftPlus, upload their backup and press restore.

The other is giving the database file to something like PHPMyAdmin, the database files UpdraftPlus create are standard SQL files.

The comments about SQL modes in your backup are conditional comments so the program ignores them if the conditions are not met, so it’s possible where your restoring, the SQL versions are different and the conditons are then not met and not run.

Best Wishes,

Ashley

Robert Meador
    Participant

OK I think I understand.

But if you do upload to remote storage and ask to keep local backups then the retain limits will work and older backups do get deleted.

So with my settings of a) emailing backups, b) requesting to keep 30 scheduled backups and c) unchecking Delete Local Backup in the expert settings, I should end up with 30 max retained scheduled backups on the server.

The other is giving the database file to something like PHPMyAdmin, the database files UpdraftPlus create are standard SQL files.

The comments about SQL modes in your backup are conditional comments so the program ignores them if the conditions are not met, so it’s possible where your restoring, the SQL versions are different and the conditons are then not met and not run.

Regarding this, I was able to restore a backup using phpMyAdmin, but not using SequelPro OR using command line SQL (on the Mac). Normally we find Sequel Pro is more forgiving than phpMyAdmin, so it is surprising that it doesn’t work for this backup. Worse though is that importing via command line fails. Isn’t that something that should “just work”? Perhaps your team can take a closer look at this issue.

Note that we do not have this problem with backups generated from WP Migrate DB. They import via all methods with no errors.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘Multiple problems’ is closed to new replies.