Multiple Uploads Folders

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ginger
    Participant

I adopted a site from another developer. I used your clone/migrate feature to copy his site to mine and work on the staging site while the other stays live.

I’ve experienced a strange issue when doing backups. The first few times I did a backup, it was backing up about 7 ‘uploads’ folders, then the following times it seemed there were more and more. The backup I just did yesterday gave me “72” ‘uploads’ folders. Would you have any idea why it’s creating so many ‘uploads’ folders?

I’ve use your plugin on about 6 other sites, and none of them backup more than one uploads folder.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi Ginger,

To help us find the cause of the problem, could you send us a copy of the latest few backup logs?
    These logs can be found in the Existing Backups tab of the UpdraftPlus settings page.

The contents will be too long to post here directly, but you can use an online sharing service (such as pastebin or dropbox), and post the link here. You can also set you reply as private.

Best Wishes,
    David

Ginger
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Ginger,

That’s the directory containing the backups – but it doesn’t include the log file. To get that, go to the ‘Existing Backups’ tab of UpdraftPlus, and click the ‘View Log’ button there.

David

Ginger
    Participant
    Dee Nutbourne

Hi Ginger,

From the logs, it appears that the Uploads directory is approximately 2944 MB, while the backup archive is split limit is 25MB.

There appear to be two directories in the Uploads folder that are not needed in the backup:

• wc-logs
    • et_temp

Could you try adding these to the Uploads exclusion list, and seeing how that effects the backup size?

The exclusion list can be found in the Settings tab’s ‘Include in files backup’ settings, under the Uploads option. Add the two directories to the end of the list, separated by commas (no spaces).

Best Wishes,
    David N

Ginger
    Participant
    Ginger
    Participant

David,

There is one other thing that I haven’t mentioned. And I’ll do my best to explain, but I’m not very smart when it comes to the ‘behind the scenes’ part of wordpress/databases…

Is it possible that the two sites are sharing one database, and maybe that is part of my issue? This is the url for the original site (developed by another person and then handed to me): https://mensministrycatalyst.org/

This is the url for the staging site that I’m currently working on: https://r12development.com Once my client is happy with the new content, I will migrate it back to the original url, overwriting all the old content.

I’ve used this same process with other websites in the past and the multiple uploads folders issue hasn’t happened, but can you tell if maybe I did something wrong when doing the initial migration on this one?

Dee Nutbourne

Hi Ginger,

The database does not affect the size of the Uploads backup.

From the log, it appears that your media files themselves now take up 2945.4MB of disk space.
    As your backups are set to be split every 25MB, this is causing the large amount of backup files.

Was there a pre-existing reason why the backup archive split size was set to 25MB (the minimum value)?
    Have you added a significant amount of images and media files to the site during development?

If you do not know of a reason why the backup split is set so low, you can try raising the split size. This will lower the number of backup files that are created.
    You can adjust the split size in the expert settings section of the Settings tab, under the ‘Split archives every’ option. I would recommend setting it to 100MB.

However, it does appear that your backups are sound, even though there are a large amount of individual files.

Best Wishes,
    David

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Multiple Uploads Folders’ is closed to new replies.