Multisite Install creates backups for every site

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Multisite Install creates backups for every site

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BvZWerkt UpdraftPlus
    Participant

Hi,

our WP multisite contains 20-something websites, all with their own domainname.
    I setup Updraft Plus (with the UP-multisite install extention) with weekly backups of the files en daily backups of the database.
    What I expected was one total copy of the complete multisite, and separated databases files for every site, but the weekly backup of the files is made for every subsite. So for instance backup_2020-01-10_name_of_subsite1-uploads.zip contains all the uploads of all sites, and backup_2020-01-10_name_of_subsite2-uploads.zip does too.
    Is this intended this way, or is something in my settings not ok?
    Is there another recommended way?

Thanks allready!

Martin Takken

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,

This is intended; UpdraftPlus backs up the WordPress installation. With multisites, when you want to *restore*, there is the option to only restore one particular site, if you want. But the backup itself is of the install, not of individual sites.

David

BvZWerkt UpdraftPlus
    Participant

Hi, thank you for the reply.
    I understand this for the database files, but the problem is with the wp files.
    The backup of the wordpress core and plugins etc are being backed up 20 times, ones would be enough.
    Is there anything I can do about that? It takes a lot of server space…

Thank you!

Bryle Crodua

Hi,

UpdraftPlus automatically splits the backup into smaller files so it is easier to process and manage.

The settings can be found in the ‘expert settings’ section of the UpdraftPlus ‘Settings’ tab.

Regards,
    Bryle

BvZWerkt UpdraftPlus
    Participant

Hi Bryle,

thanks, I’m aware of that, and it’s not what I mean.
    I mean: with 20 subsites UP makes a backup of everything for every subsite. So we end up with 20 backups.

For instance, the plugins:
    1. backup_2020-01-22-0718_Site_one_0018fcd50c3f-plugins.zip
    2. backup_2020-01-22-0537_Site_two_e0b9ae50e7d1-plugins.zip
    3. backup_2020-01-22-0313_Site_three_c5b9f6f69d78-plugins.zip
    etc… 20 x

The same with uploads and themes etc.

That’s not the idea is it? Is there something wrong with my settings?

Kind regards, Martin

Bryle Crodua

Hi,

Please could you send us a copy of the backup log?
    This can be found in the UpdraftPlus Existing Backups tab.
    The contents will be too long to post here directly, but you can use an online service such as Dropbox or Pastebin, and post the link here.

Regards,
    Bryle

BvZWerkt UpdraftPlus
    Participant

Hi Bryle,

The logs of 4 of the subsites: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yOxWSjEsxb7KTGeP-VJ8W9RbaAUW8Om3/view?usp=sharing

Regards,
    Martin

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

From inspecting the logs, it appears that there may be additional UpdraftPlus options stored in the sub-site option tables.
    This can lead to multiple backups being triggered in multisite, and usually arises when sites have been imported into the network.

If possible, please could you check any database options table, except the main ‘wp_options’ table (e.g. ‘wp_2_options’, ‘wp_3_options’)?
    Please remove any option where the ‘option_name’ starts with ‘updraft_*’.

Best Wishes,
    Dee

BvZWerkt UpdraftPlus
    Participant

Hi,

I did what you suggested, deleted every option starting with ‘updraft_’ or ‘updraftplus_’ in all the subsites options tables, but tonight it fired the backup in the same way. Here are the new logfiles of tonight: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yOxWSjEsxb7KTGeP-VJ8W9RbaAUW8Om3

In our database the deleted entries are just recreated…

Hind regards,
    Martin

Dee Nutbourne

Hi Martin,

Apologies, I am not able to access the log files via the link.

Please could you open a new support ticket here: https://updraftplus.com/paid-support-requests/
    In the description, please ask for the ticket to be assigned to ‘Dee’, and include a copy of the log files.

Best Wishes,
    Dee

BvZWerkt UpdraftPlus
    Participant

Thanks Dee, I just did.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Multisite Install creates backups for every site’ is closed to new replies.