Plugin Migration

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Aimee
    Participant

I have a question about the capabilities of Updraft in moving plugins from one site to another.

I have 2 sites, one is being built separately (SITE 1), and is going to be merged with the other site (SITE 2) within the same wordpress installation.

Currently I have separate Updraft backups for each site. What I would like to know is if it would be possible to import the plugin backup file from SITE 1 into SITE 2. And what may happen if I do so?

What I mean is that I want to keep both sets of plugins AND all their settings, to merge and migrate them together on the one site (SITE 2) – without having to tediously import each plugin individually and modify their settings.

If this is possible with Updraft (or indeed another way) I would love to hear from you how this may be done.

Many thanks,
    Aimee

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Aimee,

If you restore a backup on any site, regardless of which site it came from, then it will completely *replace* the destination site with the contents of that backup. UpdraftPlus doesn’t have any features for merging the contents of two separate sites – it can only back up, restore or clone a complete WordPress installation. If there is particular content that you’re wanting to retain or import/export separately, then you might find the Tools -> Export and Tools -> Import menu in the WordPress dashboard useful; this can be used to export/import specific pages/posts/custom-post-types – and I believe there are plugins in the wordpress.org directory which add extra features to what’s in WP by default. (We used one recently to upgrade updraftplus.com, when we wanted to merge the live, ever-changing site with the work done by our website developer).

David

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Plugin Migration’ is closed to new replies.