Restore – Shared database/Merge database

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Restore – Shared database/Merge database

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dennis
    Participant

Hello,

I have the following questions, concerning a migration I want to do.

* database MAIN (production) with a database that contains data from 2 wordpress installations
    * database DEV (development)

I am developing the website in the DEV environment and later on I want to push this website to production, but the situation is that I have only 1 MAIN database available. I want to migrate my DEV website to the MAIN site, but it has to hold 2 WordPress websites; an existing one + the one from the DEV environment.

My question is:
    Will an Updraft Restore from DEV to MAIN delete and erase all the existing data in the MAIN database? Or does it somehow uses a table prefix and only migrates the required tables, adding them to the existing database?

I searched in the help and support forums, but I am not quite sure whether Updraft will erase the existing MAIN database completely or whether it just adds data to the database, only for the DEV website?

Thanks in advance for your answer,
    Dennis

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Dennis,

If you restore a database, then it replaces the existing contents. UpdraftPlus has no merging capabilities (except for importing a new site into a multisite install).

Merging two WP generic databases programmatically and reliably is an extremely hard problem; some very talented people have spent years focusing solely on that problem without succeeding. There are no mature products for doing that on the market.

David

Dennis
    Participant

Hi David, thank you very much for sharing this information!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Restore – Shared database/Merge database’ is closed to new replies.