The backup is being aborted for a repeated failure to progress.

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin The backup is being aborted for a repeated failure to progress.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Barnabas
    Participant

Hi,

As of about a week ago, backups are failing on one site. Always the same error: The backup is being aborted for a repeated failure to progress.

Backup Report
    Backup made by UpdraftPlus 2.16.62.25
    Backup of:https://…
    Latest status:The backup attempt has finished, apparently unsuccessfully
    Backup began:2021-10-10 03:00
    Contains:Incomplete
    Errors / warnings:1 errors, 0 warnings

Errors
    The backup is being aborted for a repeated failure to progress.
    Time taken:1 hours, 44 minutes, 40 seconds
    Uploaded to:Amazon S3
    The log file has been attached to this email.

Barnabas
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as moderator-only.
    Barnabas
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Bryle Crodua

Hi,

It shows that the backup process is timed out or killed off.

Could you try to reduce the backup archive split size. This will split the backup into smaller, more manageable files.

To do this, open the ‘expert settings’ section of the UpdraftPlus Settings tab, and find the ‘split backups every’ option. Set this to 25mb, save your settings and run a new process.

If the issue persists, please ask your hosts/server admin to investigate their PHP error logs. These logs should contain more information on the exact issue that is causing the backup process to halt.

You can check this video on how to split archive here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yuXojgUBY.

Kind Regards,
    Bryle

Bob
    Participant

This sounds like the error I’ve been experiencing since updating to v2.16.62.25 (which I’ve already reported separately). It occurs intermittently-but-frequently on my larger sites, regardless of server or host. In all cases I’ve been able to resolve it by downgrading to the prior UpdraftPlus version (v 2.16.61.25). This leads me to believe the problem is something buggy in v2.16.62.25.

Barnabas, the “about a week ago” timing corresponds to when the v2.16.62.25 update would have taken place.

Bob

zharley.dude
    Participant

I set the file size to 1024.
    Log says using PHP 8, but actually using PHP 74. After creating 3 uploads backup zip files,
    it added the uploads4.zip.list.tmp file, at a 1k size, however, UploadsPlus could not
    add the uploads4.zip file, and timed out before it could create the next uploads.zip file.

Updraftplus left tmp files for themes & plugins, however, it either removed (or not add)
    zip.list.tmp files for uploads.zip, uploads2.zip, or uploads3.zip, and then timed out while
    trying to complete the uploads4.zip file (did not add uploads4.zip) and timed out when starting
    the next batch of uploads.zip.

0631.025 (1) Beginning creation of dump of uploads (split every: 4824 MB)
    0631.026 (1) File exists (/home2/oursite/public_html/wp-content/updraft/backup_2021-10-11-0329_oursite_fe33b2ce3d5a-uploads2.zip.tmp), but was apparently not modified within the last 30 seconds, so we assume that any previous run has now terminated (time_mod=1633937768, time_now=1633937972, diff=204)

Stephan
    Participant

Same problem here: I manage several sites and problem happen only on a specific hosting company (Infomaniak for those in Switzerland) (but different servers)
    Support told me to change split size to 25M (didn’t help). Now told me to change the execution time limit to 600 sec (!). Hosting company only allows 300s, and for now it works.

zharley.dude
    Participant

JustHost…. have to change to different backup plugin…
    Believe the issue is with the update to UpdraftPlus 7 days ago.
    Didn’t have a problem before that. It is deleting the zip.last.tmp
    files after a day or so, but can’t complete a backup.
    Had to switch to BackWPup, since UpdraftPlus no longer works.
    Tried lowering to 400mb files, increased PHP times, but UpdraftPlus
    starts retries in middle of uploads files, and can’t complete the
    final uploads or the middle of the uploads zip files and times-out.

John Lane
    Participant

Having the same exact issue since upgrading to updating to v2.16.62.25.

Barnabas
    Participant

I changed the split archives to 50 MBs, and the backup was completed; previously, I had it at 100 MBs. I did not make any other changes.

I made this change on a few Godaddy-hosted websites and backup seems to be working now and not timing out and sent to remote destinations, S3, with no problems.

John Lane
    Participant

Thanks Barnabas. I’ll give it a try. It only fails on the automatic backup, the manual one works file. Will post how it goes.

Barnabas
    Participant

For me, it failed on automatic and manual. So I’m hoping that since it’s working for manual, it will work for automatic as well.

zharley.dude
    Participant

If limited to 400MB, it creates many empty zip backup files and leaves zip.list.tmp files for some of them.
    Eventually, retry attempts are exceeded, and the backup fails as a result. Some of the zip files cannot be
    opened…. There’s a serious problem going on.. The log says PHP 8, but host is using PHP 73…..

zharley.dude
    Participant

File exists (/home2/oursite/public_html/wp-content/updraft/backup_2021-10-11-2018_oursite_c68516f16085-uploads3.zip.tmp), but was apparently not modified within the last 30 seconds, so we assume that any previous run has now terminated (time_mod=1633998122, time_now=1633998199, diff=77) (Oct 11 20:23:19)
    This was set to 2,048mb file sizes.. it exceeds retries and times-out if file is not modified in 30 seconds?

aporter

Hi,

When on the latest version of the plugin 2.16.62.*

Can you replace wp-content/plugins/updraftplus/backup.php with this version of the file:

https://we.tl/t-erB9G7KDcl

Then run the backup again?

If it fails again can you send the updated log file.

Best Wishes,

Ashley

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The topic ‘The backup is being aborted for a repeated failure to progress.’ is closed to new replies.