updraft hangs at uploading files

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin updraft hangs at uploading files

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 43 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Ryan.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Ryan
    Participant

Uploading files to remote storage (0%, file 1 of 20)
    I found this message trying to upload files from a backup 2 weeks ago.
    Nothing has been uploaded to S3 for that time.
    The local backups are continuing to pile up and have used a lot of space.

I deleted that schedule and ran a manual backup but it is stuck at the same spot, trying to upload.

End of log file for this job:
    1946.744 (2) Requesting upload of the files that have not yet been successfully uploaded (20)
    1946.752 (2) Cloud backup selection: s3
    1946.762 (2) Beginning dispatch of backup to remote (s3)

Ryan
    Participant

I just noticed that wp-cron is using 100% CPU. Not yet sure if this is related to updraft or not.

Ryan
    Participant

I rebooted the server and then clicked the ‘Test S3’ button.
    For about 3 minutes the button displayed ‘Testing S3 Settings…’ and admin-ajax.php was pinned at 100% cpu usage.
    Then the cpu usage dropped but the updraft settings page still shows testing s3 settings.

If I remember correctly, when I first installed updraft that S3 test completed quickly.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Ryan,

What, if anything, is logged in the PHP error log, when you try these operations? (PHP log, not Apache log). You may need first to make sure that PHP is configured to actually have an error log.

Best wishes,
    David

Ryan
    Participant

Nothing from updraft is in the error log. I checked the plugin folder, and the wp-content/updraft folder too.
    The root folder has errors but from another plugin.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Ryan,

If your PHP is set up to log in the file that the PHP script is in, then in the case of UD, that would be wp-admin.

David

Ryan
    Participant

That one had nothing from updraft. There were no entries from today at all and I have tried 2 manual backups and the test S3 button twice.
    The site is not live, I can put it in debug mode if needed.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Ryan,

This suggests to me that PHP fatal errors are not being logged at all; though, it’d be handy to see the full log file (e.g. paste via pastebin.com, or a Dropbox shared link) to be able to be more sure about that. Are you able to deliberately trigger a PHP fatal error in the admin area, in order to confirm that they do get logged? (Some PHP setups are configured to log only errors below the fatal level).

David

Ryan
    Participant

I just added trigger_error(“Fatal error”, E_USER_ERROR) to another plugin and it logged it in the error log in wp-admin
    [31-Mar-2015 22:53:24 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Fatal error in ####/wp-content/plugins/connector/connect.php on line 124
    It also stopped wp-admin from loading.

Ryan
    Participant

For the last week, the only thing in the wp-admin error_log is a ton of warnings that ini_set() has been disabled for security reasons

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Ryan,

Sorry – that’s not a suitable test – internally, PHP has different types of fatal errors, and triggered ones are ‘soft’. Instead, introduce a syntax error or something of that sort.

David

Ryan
    Participant

[31-Mar-2015 23:02:39 UTC] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘should’ (T_STRING) in ####/wp-content/plugins/connector/connect.php on line 124

udadmin
    Keymaster

OK. Odd. Do you have shell access on the server? If so, please follow these instructions – https://updraftplus.com/faqs/can-i-run-backups-from-the-shell/ – and *run the backup from PHP from the command line*. (i.e. If you call the file “ud-test.php”, then do “php ud-test.php”).

If it dies, it should at least print a fatal error as the last thing it dumps out. Failing that, add define(‘WP_DEBUG’, true); at the top of the script mentioned in those instructions and then retry.

David

Ryan
    Participant

The shell command finished running.

Requesting upload of the files that have not yet been successfully uploaded (20)
    Cloud backup selection: s3
    Beginning dispatch of backup to remote (s3)

Now the updraft settings page is at 0% uploading again and wp-cron.php is using 100% cpu.

Ryan
    Participant

I did find an error in the site root (where i uploaded the shell script)

[31-Mar-2015 23:31:37 UTC] PHP Warning: fopen(/####/wp-content/updraft/log.41f208b18a70.txt): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /####/wp-content/plugins/updraftplus/class-updraftplus.php on line 384

I think that may be because the script file was owned by the web user and I ran it as root so the log file has root owner/group

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • The topic ‘updraft hangs at uploading files’ is closed to new replies.