What do I do when changing domain name?

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin What do I do when changing domain name?

Tagged: 

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Bryle Crodua.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jim Sundberg
    Participant

We have a series of new sites that are in development with temp (not real) domain names, like “new.domain.com” and we are redirecting with our modified hosts file. We are backing those up with Updraft now. When we switch the site over to the real domain name (from new.domain.com to domain.com) what is the best way to switch over the backups? Do we need to delete the plugin and reinstall or something else?

matthew13
    Participant

I’m no expert, but I just went through a cutover…

>>When we switch the site over to the real domain name
    >>(from new.domain.com to domain.com) what is the best
    >>way to switch over the backups

On domain.com, you’ll have to “Upload backup files” then do an updraft restore and be sure to check “Search and replace site location in the database”. This option is described here: https://updraftplus.com/faqs/tell-me-more-about-the-search-and-replace-site-location-in-the-database-option/

>>Do we need to delete the plugin and reinstall or something else?
    You’ll also have to go to your “/my-account/licences/” area at updraft to manage your license(s) to which ever server(s).

If you are only working with one server and it’s domain name is changing in place from new.domain.com to domain.com, I “think” that is just a “search and replace” operation. Here’s where I asked that question:

Reassurance – Search and Replace

Bryle Crodua

Hi @Jim,

No, you do not need to re-install the plugin but you will need to reconnect the site to the license server.
    This is done via the “Premium/Extensions” tab.

If you need to re-cycle licenses, please see FAQ: https://updraftplus.com/faqs/how-can-i-release-re-cycle-a-licence/

Regards,
    Bryle

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘What do I do when changing domain name?’ is closed to new replies.