This is a part-time position (25-30 hrs/week) on a freelance basis with a view to grow into a full-time role.
We have a team based in Cardiff but we work flexibly, with the option for both remote working (UK or abroad), or being based in a shared workspace.
Salary: £50-65 per day, depending on experience
Start date: ASAP
At UpdraftPlus we make plugins for WordPress that help our customers to backup, restore, clone, secure, and optimize their WordPress websites.
We have a strong team of creative and innovative developers which is growing fast. Our growth has largely been down to the strength of our products with our plugins being some of the most highly rated plugins on WordPress.
About the role
We are looking for a software developer with a specialism in support to join our team due to our expanding plugin family and customer base. This role is perfect for someone who is not afraid to jump in feet first, has excellent verbal and written communication skills, and already has or is willing and able to learn advanced WordPress skills.
The ideal candidate will have both front-end and back-end development skills, as well as customer service and troubleshooting skills. We are looking to fill a long-term role that will hopefully expand from support-specific to additional roles (potentially development or testing in the future).
This role will begin as a freelance position with around 25-30 hours per week, with the intention of transitioning to a full-time position if things go well.
You will be providing support for the UpdraftPlus family of plugins, which includes: UpdraftPlus, All In One WordPress Security, WordPress Optimize, Subscribden, Easy Update Manager, and UpdraftCentral.
We are looking for someone to cover UK afternoons/evenings (16:00 – 22:00), Saturdays, and some bank holidays, but there is flexibility around this.
Role & Responsibilities
- Support hours are 8:00 – 22:00 Mon-Sat GMT – generally, this means checking in at least 3 times a day and clearing the queues.
- To provide support via an email-based ticketing system (FreeScout) and through our WordPress and Premium support forums. We aim to get a first response within 6-7 hours and respond to all customers within 24 hours so you must be able to respond to all support requests in a timely manner.
- Support includes answering any and all customer support inquiries as well as pre-purchase questions. Occasionally it may involve JS/PHP customizations. Providing best practice advice.
- Doing manual integrations when necessary (basic PHP editing).
Room for Growth
In the future, the role may be expanded to include documentation, product development, or testing, depending on the candidate’s desires, experience, and aptitude. We look to recruit the best candidate and then fit the role to suit their skills!
The ideal candidate
- WordPress. You are confident, using the Codex when necessary to fill any knowledge gaps.
- WordPress Plugin Customization
- Comfortable in Chrome Developer Tools (mainly for troubleshooting CSS, JS, and network issues)
- Troubleshooting (you understand how to develop a strategy to troubleshoot/debug a problem)
- Ability to run local test installs
- Self-starter, motivated & fast learner
- Excellent customer service skills
- Polite, patient, and helpful, even with impolite customers
- Eager to help customers
- Fluent in written English, excellent communication skills
- Responsible & Reliable
Good to have
- Technical knowledge of WordPress multisite
- Prior customer service experience
- Previous experience coding a plugin or theme
- Fluency in additional languages