N.B. This question is talking about Dropbox “apps”, meaning developer applications, configured at https://www.dropbox.com/developers/apps. It’s nothing to do with your Dropbox “app” on an iPhone, tablet, PC, etc. It’s a question for advanced users and developers.
These instructions assume you are using UpdraftPlus 1.9.61 (free versions) / 2.9.61 (paid versions) or later.
Note that from September 2016 onwards, due to changes Dropbox have made, this will either require that your site either has an SSL certificate and https:// URL, or has a URL beginning with http://localhost.
If you don’t want to use the default UpdraftPlus app, which stores data in (and only has access to) the folder apps/UpdraftPlus in your Dropbox, then you can do the following. This includes being able to use any path in your Dropbox (i.e. not restricted just to the app folder – though, it’s better to stay restricted, for security):
1) Edit your wp-config.php file in your WordPress installation to include this line:
2) Log in at www.dropbox.com
3) After logging in, visit https://www.dropbox.com/developers/apps
4) Click the ‘Create App’ button
5) Choose “Dropbox API app”, and then choose “Files and datastores”. If you want to go outside the “apps” folder, then also choose “My app needs access to files already on Dropbox” and “All file types”. Call the app with any label you like (it’s just a label). Finally, press “Create App”.
6) In the next screen will be shown an ‘App key’ and ‘App secret’. Enter these values into your UpdraftPlus settings page. Now, visit the UpdraftPlus settings page in your web browser. Go to the Dropbox settings, and it should now show the Dropbox app key and app secret in the settings.
If you were using an app that has access to the entire Dropbox, then prefix dropbox: onto the key; i.e.
7) If you were using a whole-Dropbox app, then you can now edit the “Store at:” setting, and it should be shown + interpreted as a full Dropbox path – i.e. it should not show ‘apps/UpdraftPlus’ on the front. (It’s the “dropbox:” bit in the appkey setting above that does this).
8) After pressing “Save Changes”, you should then go down to the Dropbox settings again, and click on the authenticate link (in the ‘Authenticate with Dropbox’ section). This will then connect you to your created Dropbox app.
Posted in: Dropbox