UpdraftPlus – Full feature list
Also see: screenshots.
Quality / General Capability
- Tested on a very wide variety of WordPress installations (over 500,000 downloads so far)
- High quality plugin – ranked in the top 100 (of 28,000 plugins) at rankwp.com. Highest ranked backup and restore plugin at wordpress.org (4.9 stars out of 5.0).
- Largest known site being backed up: 12Gb. (There may be larger – there is no data collected or “phone home”, so we only know about big sites when someone personally tells us). In theory there are no limits (large sites are split into multiple zips, of configurable size), if your web hosting has sufficient resources.
- Intuitive – UpdraftPlus’s interface has been sculpted to be self-explanatory as much as possible
- Multi-site compatible (premium)
Scheduling / automation
- Supports both manual and automated (scheduled) backups
- Available schedules: every 4, 8, 12 hours; daily; weekly; fortnightly; monthly
- Can back up files and databases on separate schedules
- Shows you what time and week-day the next backup is scheduled for
- Automatically prune the number of backups kept (i.e. choose how many historical backups to keep and delete those no longer wanted)
- Automatically back up every time you update plugins or themes from the dashboard
- Supports cloud backup to Amazon S3; any region. Can test you Amazon S3 settings and diagnose common problems. Can back up into sub-directories. Supports chunked, resumable uploads (i.e. interrupted jobs can be resumed where they left off). Encryption supported.
- Supports cloud backup to any Amazon S3 compatible provider, with the same feature set (examples of such providers: Dreamhost Dreamobjects, Cloudian, Google Cloud Storage, Connectria, Constant, Eucalyptus, Nifty, Nimbula, Cloudn). Support for RRS (Reduced Redundancy Storage).
- Supports cloud backup to Rackspace Cloud Files. Can test you Rackspace Cloud Files settings and diagnose common problems. Supports chunked, resumable uploads (i.e. interrupted jobs can be resumed where they left off). Encryption always used. Supports all Rackspace locations. Support for in-dashboard creation of a unique API user with access only to the backup container.
- Supports cloud backup to Dropbox. Supports “app folder” backup automatically – i.e. UpdraftPlus only gets to see or touch its own files. Almost zero-setup (you need to know nothing except for your Dropbox username and password). Supports chunked, resumable uploads (i.e. interrupted jobs can be resumed where they left off).
- Supports cloud backup to Google Drive. Supports chunked, resumable uploads (i.e. interrupted jobs can be resumed where they left off). Full setup guide with screenshots.
- Supports cloud backup to Rackspace Cloud Files. Supports chunked, resumable uploads (i.e. interrupted jobs can be resumed where they left off).
- Supports cloud backup to FTP servers. Supports both normal and TLS-encrypted servers. Supports both implicit and explicit encryption. Supports chunked, resumable uploads (i.e. interrupted jobs can be resumed where they left off). Has test mode to allow easy debugging of login problems.
- Supports cloud backup to SFTP servers. Supports retrying failed uploads. Has test mode to allow easy debugging of login problems. Supports both SFTP and SCP.
- Supports cloud backup to WebDAV servers, including encrypted servers. Supports chunked, resumable uploads.
- Supports backup by email. Each dump (e.g. of plugins, or of themes, or of uploads) is emailed separately. Limited only by limits your email provider has on incoming attachments.
- Supports backup to multiple destinations (e.g. Amazon and Dropbox and FTP) in a single backup.
- Database backups can be encrypted for security. Drag-and-drop decryptor for decrypting existing files.
- Encrypted transport to cloud storage: Amazon S3 (and compatible, e.g. Dreamhost, Google Cloud Storage), Dropbox, Rackspace Cloud Files, Google Drive and (Premium) encrypted FTP, SFTP, encrypted WebDAV
Reporting, monitoring and troubleshooting
- All backup operations thoroughly logged; informational messages, warnings and errors.
- Status of the present ongoing backup can be read, and automatically updates itself, within your WordPress admin panel. Any errors or warnings that occurred in the last backup also remain displayed so that you don’t miss them.
- Sends a handy report to the site owner when a backup completes (optionally: only send if there were errors or warnings). Report includes file checksums for future verification of the integrity of your backup.
- “Debug/expert” mode for power-users to gain more insight into the backup process. Including using a different set of SSL certificates, turning of SSL certificate verification, and turning off SSL entirely.
- All log messages can be sent to syslog (Linux/UNIX) / Event Log (Windows). Useful for central administration and for auditing (e.g. verify backup checksums).
Restoring / recovering / migrating
- Conveniently download backups (even those sent to the cloud) from your WordPress control panel.
- Each of the 5 different WordPress entities – database, plugins, themes, uploaded content and “other” content – is placed into a separate backup file for convenience. (On multi-site: blogs and must-use plugins also). Further files can also be backed up via an add-on (WordPress core, should you modify it, or want it for convenience, can be backed up via an add-on; and also any arbitrary directory on your server).
- Decrypt any encrypted database file within your WordPress control panel via drag-and-drop.
- Import backups made elsewhere – e.g. on a new site, import your old plugins/themes/uploads from a previous site, via drag-and-drop. Import via drag-and-drop (unlimited size upload) or via FTP.
- Search and replace the site database upon import for migration (Premium)
- Restore from the console – UpdraftPlus remembers your backups, and allows one-click access to restore them (if you are still on the WordPress site you backed them up from). When you restore, you can select which entities you want out of your backup set.
- Prompt support – we have a provable record for fixing problems promptly, via the WordPress forums. We don’t like to have even one known issue open.
- Wide variety of paid support packages available to suit every need
And many more planned!