Backup Hangs

• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jelliott.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jelliott
    Participant

I recently purchased the Premium version of UpdraftPlus and am having difficulties completing a full backup. I note from Cpanel that it loads up my Memory Usage and I/O Usage; often using 100% resources. I also see from the forums this is a common problem. I have cleaned up my server files as best I can, and am now running php 7.0 to reduce loading, but still cannot complete a backup of my WP files. Resources used normally are low.

Attached is the logfile of the most recent run (I assume it is hung up after 1hr. inaction). Spare Memory and I/O resources currently show as available.

This was executed today using the “Backup Now” setting. I tried a scheduled backup last 2 nights at 00:05 but did not appear to have executed. Sending backup to Google Drive, which is linked. (I have confirmed with a smaller backup of just the database with success)

This is not a huge site and has limited users, so it should not be an outlier. Help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/454o9mdwncxnn7k/log.2526a20526a9.txt?dl=0

jelliott
    Participant

Backup still running. Let’s see what happens. Will report later.

Ed
    Participant

Same problem – 100% CPU and doesn’t appear to be using the PHP setting of max_execution_time. For some reason, my backups are defaulting to 900 seconds which forces a timeout automatically. Something must have changed in the last UpdraftPlus software push.

jelliott
    Participant

2 Hr and counting… I believe the backup failed.

Disappointing. Need advice!

Bryle Crodua

Hi @jelliot,

It shows that the backup process is timed out or killed off.

Could you try to reduce the backup archive split size. This will split the backup into smaller, more manageable files.

To do this, open the ‘expert settings’ section of the UpdraftPlus Settings tab, and find the ‘split backups every’ option. Set this to 100Mb, save your settings and run a new backup.

Does the backup completes now?

If the backup still could not complete, please ask your hosts/server admin again to investigate their PHP error logs. These logs should contain more information on the exact issue that is causing the backup process to halt.

Kind Regards,
    Bryle

jelliott
    Participant

OK, ran another backup overnight with zip size set at 100mb as suggested. Backup is still hanging up. Log file is located here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lp47zsooh68vtsj/log.d79034a5a15e.txt?dl=0

I note from cpanel stats that memory usage and I/O usage were high and intermittently pegged during that time.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,

cPanel’s stats aren’t that useful; I/O is always going to be as much as is made available, because running a backup means reading/writing your complete site data from disk. So, that part is normal.

Try setting the size down to 25MB, then run a backup and leave it for 12 hours, and see what happens – then post the log. That’ll allow us to see as much info as possible. The current log suggests that there should be more progress afterwards. (If you get the latest log again, is there more in it?)

David

jelliott
    Participant

Will do

jelliott
    Participant

Backup succeeded in about 2.5 hrs! Log file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygx6ntz39pirc2f/log.518bd17fd39b.txt?dl=0

Wrote to Google Drive 18 zip files. I assume Updraft will track/manage these, and Restore will reassemble? Would hate to keep track of them, especially as I have multiple backups.

I note I am allocated 512MB Memory under my account at GoDaddy. I assume this is part of the issue? I’d prefer not upgrading my plan to increase memory usage.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Yes, UpdraftPlus will automatically manage the separate backup files, and re-assemble the backup when restored.

512MB is fairly typical for a site, but is of course shared with any other processes on the site.
    If you are happy with the time a backup takes currently, there should not be a need to increase the memory for your account.

Best Wishes,
    David N

jelliott
    Participant

Thanks, David. I’m quite cautious when it comes to something as important as backing up. I’ll be looking at how to test a restore without endangering the live site. All good for now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Backup Hangs’ is closed to new replies.