Backup/Restore – WordPress Version Mismatch

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Backup/Restore – WordPress Version Mismatch

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rpaluszak
    Participant

I am new to Updraft and to using the backup/restore to clone a website. The image I am using to build a new site has installed WordPress 5.4.2. The site I want to migrate, was upgraded to 5.5.1. After I build a new wordpress site using my image, I install the latest version of Updraft, so both the source and destination site have the same version of Updraft Premium.

When I restore, the source host to my clone host, I get the following message. “You are importing from a newer version of WordPress (5.5.1) into an older one (5.4.2). There are no guarantees that WordPress can handle this.” I made the assumption that the restore would overwrite the older WordPress with the wordpress version from the source host. I am not ready to build a new image with the latest WordPress. As a best practice, should I upgrade WordPress on the destination host, before doing the restore?

rpaluszak
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as moderator-only.
    Bryle Crodua

Hi,

UpdraftPlus will only restore the WP core files if you include the WP core in the restoration.

I would suggest using the same WP version before restoring and upgrade everything after restore to avoid any issues with the migration.
    I believe you have the option to choose what WP version to use on your web hosting?

Regards,
    Bryle

rpaluszak
    Participant

Thanks.

I am self hosting, so I can choose the WP version I want.

The image I am using, was built with WordPress 5.4.2. Later this year, I will build a new host image with a newer version of WordPress.

The source site that I am sending the backup from is using WP 5.5.1 and I am selecting all items to be sent, including the WP Core Files, as I am cloning the site for testing of changes.

You feel that best practice, would be to build the new clone site, and then take the extra step and upgrade the WP before doing the restore, to “avoid any issues with the migration.”

If I don’t take the extra step of upgrading WP on the clone, before the restore. What issues can I expect? If I am doing a complete restore, won’t it overwrite all of the files anyways?

Your statement that I should upgrade WP before cloning to avoid issues with the migration. Implies, that I am not truly cloning a host and that remnants are being left behind that could impact any upgrade testing that I am trying to perform. Just trying to understand how your product works, so that I can better plan site upgrades and quality assurance testing.

Robert

Bryle Crodua

Hi,

The idea is just to be able to successfully clone your website as is on the developement/staging site. Once you are done with the cloning process then you should be good with doing all the updates that you need to do on your website. Basically just a good starting point.

Regards,
    Bryle

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Backup/Restore – WordPress Version Mismatch’ is closed to new replies.