Backup Schedule no Working

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Wayne
    Participant

I am trying to set backups to have the day before, 7 and 14 days before, then 1 and 2 months before…. I am unsure what to set the settings to. How they are worded are a little confusing. I currently have:

• For backups oder than 1 day keep no more than 1 backup every 1 week
    • For backups older than 1 week keep no more than 1 backup every 4 weeks
    • For backups older than 4 weeks keep no more than 1 backup ever 2 weeks.

A few things I am unsure of:

• How do I keep 2 backups one at 7 and one at 14 days
    • How do I limit the max time. I want the most recent backup in each category, so when a new one runs the old one is deleted
    • What shoudl my settings be?
    udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Wayne,

It’s not possible to precisely “keep 2 backups one at 7 and one at 14 days”, because, for example, if that’s what’s stored today, then tomorrow, those two backups will be 8 and 15 days old… and there wasn’t a 13-day old backup waiting to replace the 14-day old one, and become the new 14-day old backup. Hence, UpdraftPlus presents the options in the terms that it does (“after X hours/days/weeks, keep 1 backup every X hours/days/weeks”). Probably the best thing to do is to try to wrap your head around UD’s paradigm, because trying to translate into a different one can soon get confusing.

Similarly, this idea is impossible:

How do I limit the max time. I want the most recent backup in each category, so when a new one runs the old one is deleted

If UD were to do that, then, the next day, there wouldn’t be a new candidate available for the chosen time interval. There can only be a backup kept within the time interval specified if the *oldest* one is kept (except for the most far out interval). i.e. If it oldest one was deleted, then there’ll never be a backup kept that gets old enough to get into the next-furthest-out time bracket.

How do I keep 2 backups one at 7 and one at 14 days

If you have a daily backup, and want to keep today’s backup, and then one from each of the last two weeks, then you could set these settings:

– After 36 hours, keep 1 backup every 1 weeks
    – Retain a maximum of 3 backups

Best wishes,
    David

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Backup Schedule no Working’ is closed to new replies.