Backup to Backblaze B2 not working

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Backup to Backblaze B2 not working

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Peacecamper
    Participant

Hey,

I’m trying to switch my weekly backup from Dropbox to Backblaze B2. Dropbox works like a charm, however Backblaze is less expensive.
    I tested the Backblaze settings, they are working. I didn’t do a scheduled run yet, only via “backup now” with every option but “Only allow this backup to be deleted manually” checked.
    At the start it’s all looking good, but after a couple of hours the backup stops (reattempting a couple of times, but always fails). I tried it once with 400 MB chunks and once with 100 MB (like suggested by Backblaze B2). 400 MB worked with Dropbox.

Here is the log of the 400 MB run:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3a00ec0h246xuu9/log.99b1dc562083.txt?dl=0

For the 100 mb I ticked the debug mail option, this is what I got:

Seelen für Seelchen: Backup Report Backup made by UpdraftPlus 2.15.2.24 – https://updraftplus.com Sicherung von: UpdraftPlus 2.15.2.24 – https://updraftplus.com Letzter Status: Die Sicherung wurde nicht beendet; eine Wiederaufnahme ist geplant Backup began: 2018-10-22 01:24 Contains: Dateien und Datenbank (Volle Sicherung) Errors / warnings: 7 errors, 0 warnings Errors Backblaze Fehler – konnte Teile nicht wieder zusammenführen Fehler: Backblaze B2: Failed to upload backup_2018-10-22-0124_Seelen_fr_Seelchen_2204cfc39302-uploads26.zip Backblaze Fehler – konnte Teile nicht wieder zusammenführen Fehler: Backblaze B2: Failed to upload backup_2018-10-22-0124_Seelen_fr_Seelchen_2204cfc39302-uploads66.zip Backblaze Fehler – konnte Teile nicht wieder zusammenführen Fehler: Backblaze B2: Failed to upload backup_2018-10-22-0124_Seelen_fr_Seelchen_2204cfc39302-uploads214.zip Fehler: Backblaze B2: Failed to upload backup_2018-10-22-0124_Seelen_fr_Seelchen_2204cfc39302-uploads245.zip Time taken: 9 hours, 52 minutes, 51 seconds

And then a lot of checksums, which are not important I think.
    “Fehler – konnte Teile nicht wieder zusammenführen Fehler” tranlates to “failed to re-assemble chunks”.

Can you help me out?

Peacecamper
    Participant

Any help?

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Apologies for the delay.

It appears that the backup is experiencing overlapping resumptions. This is where two backup processes are running at the same time, causing various issues.

This usually indicates that the server is overloaded or running close to its resource limits.
    Please could you try running a backup at a quieter time of day for the site, consisting of only the Uploads?

Please could you then send us a copy of the new backup log?

Best Wishes,
    David N

Peacecamper
    Participant

With server you mean the server of my website, right?

Peacecamper
    Participant

Okay, this time it worked, however I got two mails, one saying there was an error and one saying no errors. The second one was 18 seconds longer.

I uploaded the full log from Updraft:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xegreq2p19a3pzb/log.d36d3ed2ee8e.txt?dl=0

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

This backup appears to have performed much better, and only shows an overlap in resumptions while trimming old backups (hence the two emails).

please could you check if it is possible to raise the memory limit for the site to 512MB?

Best Wishes,
    David N

Peacecamper
    Participant

Unfortunately the maximum is 128 MB. I might be able to get 256 MB, because the new contracts have a higher limit, but not 512 MB.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

If the current maximum is 128MB, then upgrading to 256MB should help if possible.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Peacecamper
    Participant

Okay, thank you. The Dropbox backups never had any issues though, why does this happen only with Backblaze?
    Could adjusting the chunk size maybe help? If yes, which size should I choose?

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

The issue with Backblaze is that load balancing is not performed on the Backblaze servers. As such, when attempting to upload, the connection could reach a server that is overloaded or busy (which causes the upload errors).

This adds overhead on the plugin side, as it then has to resume the upload of the file later.

This difference between Backblaze and other cloud storage services is reflected in the relative cost.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Peacecamper
    Participant

Got it, thanks for the explanation!

Peacecamper
    Participant

Okay, one more thing. I switched to Google Drive for testing purposes, but got some errors there as well. The backup was completed though. Here the error message from the log:

ERROR: Google Drive upload error: Error refreshing the OAuth2 token, message: ‘{
    “error”: “invalid_request”,
    “error_description”: “Missing required parameter: refresh_token”
    }’ (line: 357, file: /is/htdocs/wp12367075_08C5KTZMZM/www/wp-content/plugins/updraftplus/includes/Google/Auth/OAuth2.php)
    15188.449 (0) Google Drive quota usage: failed to obtain this information: Error refreshing the OAuth2 token, message: ‘{
    “error”: “invalid_request”,
    “error_description”: “Missing required parameter: refresh_token”

What can I do about these errors?

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Please could you send us a copy of the latest log file?

Did you have any issues in authenticating UpdraftPlus with Google Drive?

Best Wishes,
    David N

Peacecamper
    Participant

Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrlto8y2ooq8gj5/log.8c6cec21383a.txt?dl=0

I didn’t upgrade to 256 MB Memory Limit yet, but I don’t think that is the issue here. The authentication worked without any problems.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

From the log, it appears that the upload to Google Drive recovers after the resumption.

There is an issue with refreshing access after the backup has been running for a long time. I will pass this on to our developers for further investigation.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • The topic ‘Backup to Backblaze B2 not working’ is closed to new replies.