Constant/Filter/Action we can use to disable the automatic/scheduled backups?

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Constant/Filter/Action we can use to disable the automatic/scheduled backups?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Arvil Meña
    Participant

Hello!

On my production site, UpdraftPlus plugin is working fine. It’s doing the automatic/scheduled backups, which is great. The backup zips are getting uploaded and saved to my remote storage VPS server, which is great!

When I want a new feature for my site in general, I ask developers to get a copy of my site and develop/code those feature.

My problem is, when they set up a copy of my site to their local computer, it also performs the scheduled/automatic backup, which in terms ALSO uploads backup zips to my VPS server!!! which is very bad! we have backup zips in our VPS server which are backups of the site on the developers’ computer!

We learned this the hard way. When my site got corrupted and trying to restore one of the latest back-ups we are confused as to why the restored backup is not “updated”, apparently, those are backup of the local site of the developer!

Is there a constant we can add to wp-config.php of the local sites of my developers which will stop them from doing the automatic/scheduled backups? Filter/action perhaps? Or probably disable the automatic/scheduled backups by default, and only allow it when a constant is defined?

One of the solutions we are doing is to ask my developers to disable the plugin on their local computer every time they get a copy of the site, BUT if UpdraftPlus detected it needs to do a backup, it would run first before the developer can log in and disable the plugin. Plus since this is manual work, this is prone to human error i.e, forgetting etc.

Hope you can help with this.

Regards.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Apologies for the inconvenience.

We do have a constant available to completely suppress automatic backups.
    This can be done by adding the following to your wp-config.php file:

define('UPDRAFTPLUS_NOAUTOBACKUPS', true);

However, I’m afraid that we do not currently have an equivalent to disable scheduled backups.

An alternative would be to disable both the scheduled and automatic backups on the live server, and instead schedule backups via a cronjob and WP-CLI.
    This would mean that the mechanism for triggering backups would not be copied over.

We have a full guide for running backups using WP-CLI here: https://updraftplus.com/wp-cli-updraftplus-documentation/
    The WP-CLI command can then be run via a scheduled cronjob.

We also have instructions for the older method of creating a cronjob: https://updraftplus.com/faqs/can-i-run-backups-from-the-shell/

Best Wishes,
    Dee

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Constant/Filter/Action we can use to disable the automatic/scheduled backups?’ is closed to new replies.