?doing_wp_cron in url – remove

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin ?doing_wp_cron in url – remove

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

This, apparently is a common problem when using alternative_cron in WordPress. Periodically, my url’s have ‘?doing_wp_cron’ appended to them. Obviously, i would prefer this not to happen. My host – Heartinternet does not allow ‘loopback’ on it’s shared servers.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks,

Mike

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,

You can’t have alternative cron without having that in your URLs sometimes – it’s part of how the mechanism works.

I believe Heart have some other solution for running WP cron via setting up a scheduled task in their control panel – but you’d need to ask them for details of how to set that up. (I don’t have a Heart account and would not recommend Heart – their reasoning for why they disable the normal WP cron, when customers have shown it to us, shows a considerable misunderstanding of how WP cron works, and disabling things they don’t understand isn’t the kind of thing you want to see if you’re going to have confidence in your web hosting company).

Best wishes,
    David

Michael
    Participant

The reasoning behind Heart’s thinking is around security issues with the loopback function. They don’t disable it on their dedicated servers, only shared servers.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

Yes, that’s what they tell everyone. It’s completely bogus. There are no security issues in allowing loopback connections. There is nothing that can be accomplished via a loopback connection that can’t be accomplished via an external connection. The only thing accomplished is the thousands of man hours of work for everyone else. Ask them to point to a single report on any reputable security company about any real-world security incident, ever, where the possibility of a loopback connection in WordPress was a key factor, and where disallowing them would have prevented the incident. They won’t be able to, because none exist, and it’s not even possible.

Rant over!

David

udadmin
    Keymaster

Response from Mike:

I’ve followed FAQ guidelines and setup a scheduled task using the following php code:

“”

Do I now remove the alternate Cron line from my wp-config, and do I need to set updraft schedule to manual because WP is still telling me I have problems with scheduled tasks?

Also – I’ve been following the script running in Updraft – I note that it stops frequently and says there are errors and then continues. Making me a little uncomfortable as to whether these backups will be reliable.

Cheers,

Mike

udadmin
    Keymaster

I’ve followed FAQ guidelines and setup a scheduled task using the following php code:

Do I now remove the alternate Cron line from my wp-config, and do I need to set updraft schedule to manual because WP is still telling me I have problems with scheduled tasks?

You will still need your WordPress scheduler to be working if you are using that route, regardless of whether you set the schedule in the UpdraftPlus settings to manual or not.

Also – I’ve been following the script running in Updraft – I note that it stops frequently and says there are errors and then continues. Making me a little uncomfortable as to whether these backups will be reliable.

Without seeing the specific text of the errors, I cannot say. But, it is quite normal for backup jobs to stop and later resume, in general – different hosting companies have different time limits for a single script to run, and sometimes these are less time than is needed to copy the entire set of files, database, and despatch it to the cloud. So any backup plugin needs to have retry strategies.

David

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘?doing_wp_cron in url – remove’ is closed to new replies.