Dropbox changes causing a headache

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Dropbox changes causing a headache

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Richard
    Participant

Has anyone else noticed the new version of UpdraftPlus which upgrades Dropbox OAuthv1 tokens to OAuthv2 causes the backup folder to be different?

I’ve well over 100 sites, all backed up to my Dropbox folder in a folder as /dropbox/apps/UpdraftPlus/

As of now, new sites I’m adding back up to: /dropbox/apps/UpdraftPlus.Com/

That extra “.com” means I’ve yet another folder in my Apps folder, and I can’t see a way around it other than to log into each & every 100+ WP sites and “re-authenticate” to get them all moved :(

Anyone have any thoughts?, and why was this done this way – Dropbox forcing a valid domain perhaps?

aporter

Hi Richard,

Dropbox are upgrading from OAuth v1 to OAuth v2 with this comes their new API and the old API will soon be deprecated.

This new API brought with it a lot of new changes which meant rewriting alot of the Dropbox code.

To ensure this upgrade goes smoothly for all our users we created a new Dropbox app, but because Dropbox forces Apps to be unique the name had to change from Updraftplus to Updraftplus.com.

Sites that are already authenticated with Dropbox will automatically be upgraded to OAuth v2 during your sites next interaction with Dropbox and that site will remain on the old app Updraftplus.

New sites will automatically be put onto the new App Updraftplus.com and will instantly start using OAuth v2 there is no v1 support on this App.

Reauthenticating a old site will move it to the new App.

This was implemented this way so that the upgrade from OAuth v1 to v2 would be transparent to existing users/sites as we would not be able to force them to the new App automatically as this would involve them having to manually authenticate before they would be able to backup.

Then for new users/sites they would be put onto the new App from the start.

I hope this clears it up a bit as to why it has been implemented this way. There should also be a FAQ going out soon explaining these changes.

If you have any further questions about this issue please don’t hesitate to ask.

Best wishes,

Ashley

Richard
    Participant

Thanks for the detailed reply Ashley.

I totally understand the reasons, I just wanted to confirm if it can be changed or was intentional and you’ve answered both.

It’s a bit of work, but it looks like I need to “re-authenticate” all my sites if I want all my backups in one place.

All the best.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Dropbox changes causing a headache’ is closed to new replies.