Internal Server Error

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Noelle Leahy
    Participant

Hi there,
    When I try to migrate my database backup to a new server (same URL), I tick the box to search and replace (using migration add-on)and after a while, I get an Internal Server Error. I have also tried this without using the Migrationa dd-on and get the same result. When I try to go back to the WP Admin, the site seems to go into automatic maintenance. I get the message “Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a few minutes.” When I check back, i’m being told to re-install WordPress! If I go and re-install, I end up with a white screen of death at the front, but still with access to the WP Admin. Can you tell me what is happening and what I can do please?
    Thanks,
    Noelle

Noelle Leahy
    Participant

Ok I have switched themes and the white screen is now gone, so that’s good, but i’m afraid to re-try the migration because I think it has more to do with the server than the theme. Can anyone enlighten me please?

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Noelle,

Best thing to do would be to send us the migration log file – use the form here to send it: https://updraftplus.com/paid-support-requests/ – then we’ll be able to read in detail about what happened.

My guess, though, would be that the web server has a low timeout for PHP scripts, and killed off the migration before it finished. In that case, the best thing to do is:

1) Wipe the destination site and re-install
    2) Install UD + import the backup
    3) Do a restore on *only* the uploads. Then *only* plugins+themes. Then only others. Last of all, only the database. By splitting the operation up into 4 parts like this, you’ll not be troubled as soon by any timeout, and hopefully that may be enough to get it all through. The important thing when doing this is to do the database last.

Best wishes,
    David

Noelle Leahy
    Participant

Thank you, I will send the migration log file.

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,

It looks like there’s not enough time to restore only the database. The timings in the log file suggest a very overloaded server. So, there’s a toxic combination: 1) Low timeout and 2) Not as much as you’d hope can be done in the available time, due to the server being slow/overloaded.

I just heard from another customer earlier today as well who said that Namesco forbid scheduled tasks in WordPress, which means you can’t run scheduled backups.

I’d advise a different hosting company – but if you’re stuck with Namesco, I’ll have to send you a refund, unfortunately.

Best wishes,
    David

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi David,

Thanks for that. I’m stuck with Namesco for the moment i’m afraid.

It looks like i’m in big trouble if I can’t migrate this database because I now have a hosting account with all my files but no database. Is there any way around this? Can I break down the database and upload in sections?

Thanks,
    Noelle

The UpdraftPlus backup is a standard SQL file. So, you could restore it through phpMyAdmin, if they provide a control panel with that in. I’d try that first.

Or, if that has the same problem, you can cut it up into parts – you can decompress it with 7-zip from 7-zip.org, and then break on each table. For this to work through phpMyAdmin, you’ll need to have the same table prefix in the destination site as the source site. If doing it in chunks through UpdraftPlus, you’ll need to keep the options, users and usermeta tables in a single operation (the rest don’t matter so much). If doing it in UpdraftPlus, then you don’t need to recompress the file on each chunk – UD will accept an uncompressed file, as long as the rest of the filename remains the same.

Needless to say, this is a fiddly and annoying process…

David

jcsierra
    Participant

Hello. when I got the “Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a few minutes.” message I changed the name of the themes folder, and then loaded wp-admin. Changed it back again and that seemed to work. Just in case anyone gets the same error, it’s worth a try.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Internal Server Error’ is closed to new replies.