Leftover local backup files

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    colinswala
    Participant

I have a server with 4 sites running UpdraftPlus on each. I have “Delete Local Backup” checked for each one of these sites so that the local copies of the backups on the server get deleted after the backups are uploaded to OneDrive. However, every now and then I come across some leftover backup zip files in the “wp-content/updraft” directory on one of the sites. This is a problem because when left unchecked, over time the size of these directories grows to multiple GBs growing the server space required to contain these sites.

Initially, I thought this could be due to not deleting the local copies of backups after restoring them. However, the most recent event where this occurred is June 1 for 1 of the sites. Upon scanning the log files for June 1, I found one log file that seems to have been unsuccessful at completing the backup with the following lines inside the log: (Full log is found in the private reply below)
    >0004.507 (0) Tasks: Backup files: 1 (schedule: fortnightly) Backup DB: (schedule: twicedaily)
    >0004.508 (0) Processed schedules. Tasks now: Backup files: 1 Backup DB:
    >0004.582 (0) Scheduled backup aborted – another backup of this type was apparently invoked by the WordPress scheduler only 191 seconds ago – the WordPress scheduler invoking events multiple times usually indicates a very overloaded server (or other plugins that mis-use the scheduler)

I have a backup schedule that is the same between all 4 sites; daily incremental backups with a Full backup bi-weekly, and twice a day for the DB. The file backups are launched at 02:00 daily and the DB backups are launched twice a day at 01:45. The fortnightly backups are scheduled on completely different days so that overlap like this wouldn’t happen (i.e. Thursday 02:00 for Site 1, Friday 02:00 for Site 2, Saturday 02:00 for Site 3, Sunday 02:00 for Site 4) I have changed the DB backups to be earlier at 01:30 ever since discovering this, but I doubt this is the cause of that log.

The only other thing I could think of that could use the WordPress scheduler is Wordfence, which we also have on all 4 sites. Any ideas on how we can stop leftover local file backups or debug why this is happening?

Running the latest version of WordPress (v5.2.1) and the latest version of UpdraftPlus (v2.16.15.24).

colinswala
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Bryle Crodua

Hi,

UpdraftPlus will only delete the backups on the local server once the backup has been successfully sent to your remote storage. If the backup fails to complete, the backup will be kept on your local server.

Regarding the warning that is shown on the log, please ask your host/server admin if the server is currently overloaded.

Regards,
    Bryle

colinswala
    Participant

Actually this is a dedicated server with 4GB of RAM and 4CPU cores and only 4 sites. Running CentOS 6. I don’t think overloading is possible?

Contacted the Host provider and they didn’t see anything unusual either. Any other suggestions?

Bryle Crodua

Hi,

Please could you send us a copy of the latest backup log?
    This can be found in the UpdraftPlus Existing Backups tab.
    The contents will be too long to post here directly, but you can use an online service such as Dropbox or Pastebin, and post the link here.

Best Wishes,
    Bryle

colinswala
    Participant
    colinswala
    Participant

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooo

What is the hold up here?

Bryle Crodua

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply. I was not able to get a notification of your reply.

Please can you check in the UpdraftPlus “Settings” tab > “Show Expert Settings” > is the delete local backup option enabled? See screenshot – https://prnt.sc/o019dj

Regards,
    Bryle

colinswala
    Participant

Yes, this is already checked Bryle. I have reported that this was checked in the first sentence of my first post.

colinswala
    Participant

You guys really need to work on your notification system if this is another missed notification Bryle!

Bryle Crodua

Hi,

Please can you provide us access to your site? So we can check first hand.

Regards,
    Bryle

colinswala
    Participant
    Bryle Crodua

Hi,

Thank you for providing us access.

Can you also send us a screenshot of these leftovers for each site as you mentioned please? So we can compare with the log.

Thanks,
    Bryle

colinswala
    Participant
    colinswala
    Participant

You guys really gotta work on your notification system here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Leftover local backup files’ is closed to new replies.