Migration issue — Failure in connection to the destination site

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Migration issue — Failure in connection to the destination site

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jhinuk Chowdhury
    Participant

I have cloned from one website (domain) to another successfully a few times in the past. But, when I tried it recently, UpdraftPlus generated the following error message:

“Send to site: https://example.com/ Testing connection… Unexpected response: Error: Response from remote site could not be understood (response_not_understood). You should check that the remote site is online, not firewalled, does not have security modules that may be blocking access, has UpdraftPlus version 2.10.3 or later active and that the keys have been entered correctly.”

The destination site has a fresh installation of WordPress with no plugins installed. It is also perfectly reachable using its URL.

I need this migration urgently. How can I resolve this issue?

Thank you. – JC.

Jhinuk Chowdhury
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as moderator-only.
    Bryle Crodua

Hi JC,

Apologies for the delay over the weekend.

The ‘response_not_understood’ error means that the receiving server sent a reply that was not one of the standard success or error messages.

In the past, we have found that this has been caused by ‘mod_securty’, a security module that can block incoming connections. By default, mod_security redirects to a 404 page when blocking, which causes the ‘response_not_understood’ error in UpdraftPlus.

Please could you contact your hosts/server admin, and ask if mod_security is active on either server? If so, could they check the logs to see if the migration connection from UpdraftPlus was blocked?

Alternatively, you can use other methods to send your backups as described in step 3 of our migration guide here: https://updraftplus.com/faqs/how-do-i-migrate-to-a-new-site-location

Best Wishes,
    Bryle

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Migration issue — Failure in connection to the destination site’ is closed to new replies.