Restore Failing – Error message: Could not extract file from archive

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Restore Failing – Error message: Could not extract file from archive

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Len
    Participant

I am trying to migrate a site from my local server to my test server and the restore is failing. I have migrated hundreds of sites this way and have never ran into this problem before. It is getting hung up trying to restore the plugins. Here is the log:

Plugins
    Unpacking backup… (backup_2019-01-04-1358_MBO_America_93aa18db3ddb-plugins.zip, 24.8 Mb)
    Unzip progress: 1002 out of 6135 files (2.5 MB, plugins/advanced-custom-fields-pro/includes/locations/class-acf-location-page-type.php)
    Unzip progress: 1210 out of 6135 files (8.3 MB, plugins/caldera-forms/assets/build/js/fields.min.js)
    Unzip progress: 1407 out of 6135 files (10.7 MB, plugins/caldera-forms/assets/js/handlebars.js)
    Error message: Could not extract file from archive.
    Error data: plugins/caldera-forms/fields/checkbox/js/setup.js

Restore failed…

Error data: plugins/caldera-forms/fields/checkbox/js/setup.js

I have migrated this site a dozen times previously, all with the same plugins, without any problems.

After some more testing, it seems like restoring each part separately also causes errors. When trying to restore the uploads, it can not find the zip file. It keeps insisting it should look in remote storage even though the file was uploaded to the local storage through FTP.

I have never had any problems even close to this with this plugin before. This is a serious problem that I need help with as quickly as possible.

I am using both the most recent version of WordPress and the most recent version of Updraft.

Len
    Participant

I was able to find an earlier version of the plugin and was able to complete the restoration with zero issues. So it seems this bug is directly related to version 2.16.1.24.

I still want to know what the problem is and when it will be fixed. I am regretting updating all of my sites, 100+, to the latest version now.

Kelly Janes
    Participant

I am experiencing a similar issue. I’ve narrowed it down to this: whenever the backup contains a 0 byte file, the restore fails. Language looks like what Len entered above. Here’s one example I got:

/* sample error */

Unpacking backup… (backup_2019-01-04-0641_Effective_Focus_44f8bdc0e030-themes.zip, 5 Mb)
    Error message: Could not extract file from archive.
    Error data: themes/thestory/.com.apple.timemachine.supported
    Restore failed…

Error data: themes/thestory/.com.apple.timemachine.supported

/* end sample error */

I checked the file titled “.com.apple.timemachine.supported” on the original site installation, and it is indeed zero bytes.

@Len
    , where did you find the older version of UpdraftPlus? Thanks!

Len
    Participant

Interesting that it happens when a file has 0 bytes. I will have to look more into that.

As for an older version of the plugin, I had to find an older back up from before I updated the plugin. Then I replaced the current version with the previous version. It appears that there is no way to access older versions of the plugin anywhere on this site.

Kelly Janes
    Participant

Workaround for those who don’t want to hunt for an older version of UP… The database restores just fine, since it does not have a zero file size. The remaining archives can be extracted on the server and copied to the appropriate directories. This just solved my problem (wish I’d thought of it earlier!).

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

Apologies for the delay.

If possible, please could you send us a copy of the backup log for the backup set that you are attempting to migrate?

You can find this log either in the UpdraftPlus Backups/Restore tab or the ‘wp-content/updraft’ directory of your original site.

Best Wishes,
    David N

Len
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Bob
    Participant

I am running into a similar problem. The files which it could not extract from archive are all zero length files. As a test, I deleted the first one from the archive and tried the process again and it went deeper into the restore.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi Len,

The whitespace warning indicates that extra characters are being added to all output. This can break several parts of UpdraftPlus.

I would recommend checking any PHP file that you have added or manually edited (such as child-themes, mu-plugins or wp-config), and ensure that there is no extra content outside of the ‘‘ tags.

You can also check the browser developer tools when on the page showing the warning. A message will be output to the developer console showing the extra characters.

The other error indicates that there is an issue with the file permissions for the ‘wp-content’ and ‘wp-content/themes’ directories.
    Please could you double check that WordPress has full access to those directories (You can test installing and deleting a theme via WP Admin).

Best Wishes,
    David N

Len
    Participant

David,

I have been building this site for months and have not had any issues on my local dev environment or my test server environment until Updraft version 2.16. I have been using both my local and test servers for years at this point without any of these issues.

Both environments have full access to all directories.

I just double checked my local site and the whitespace warning is no longer showing. I have done nothing to the site, so I do not know why it is now gone.

Was there anything in the log file explaining why I can not complete a restoration?

Kelly Janes
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Dee Nutbourne

Hi Kelly,

Please could you try downloading the Themes backup file, and unzipping it on your local machine (any zipping tool/utility should work).
    Does the file unzip without any errors?

@Len
    The log file indicates that there is either a permissions issue with the ‘wp-content’ directory for the site, or there is not enough disk space available for the site.

0017.278 () Error message: Could not move the files into place. Check your file permissions.
    0017.278 () Error data (move_failed): C:\wamp64\www\millenia/wp-content/themes/forbesmaster -> C:\wamp64\www\millenia/wp-content/updraft/themes-old/forbesmaster

Best Wishes,
    David N

krdzine
    Participant

So many of us are having no luck in restoring/migrating backups? I got a very long list of errors saying MySQL has gone away”… I am not sure what that actually means but it can’t be good. I filled out the support form and on submission of that I get an error from their site saying “Sorry You Have Been Blocked” and to contact the site owner about the error… which was created when I was contacting them about an error. Circular logic.

Please tell me that I don’t have to reinstall wordpress from scratch and then attempt the restore from the backup.

Bob
    Participant

I also ran into the “you have been blocked” message – which didn’t improve my mood or feeling towards the company. The file checker didn’t like the log file- I had to zip it to submit. Not that big a deal, but it took some trial and error to determine whether the problem was the file or something I wrote. Better guidance on what constitutes an acceptable log file would have helped. How do we get put in a ticket queue ?

How long has the zero length file restore problem been going on ? If backup software won’t properly restore, it is worthless.

Dee Nutbourne

Hi,

A fix for this issue has now been released. Please could you update to the latest version.

It appears that some uses were mistakenly flagged by our automatic server security.
    If you are not able to access the site, please message us via Twitter or Facebook with your IP address, and we can unblock you:
    https://twitter.com/updraftplus
    https://www.facebook.com/updraftplus/

Best Wishes,
    David N

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Restore Failing – Error message: Could not extract file from archive’ is closed to new replies.