Retention limits need to be a priority for automatic backups

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Retention limits need to be a priority for automatic backups

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tony Cosentino
    Participant

As per this discussion thread.

Retention and removal of old backups

And this feature request

Backup retention limits rules to save space and delete old backups

You have a big issue that is being ignored. I have been a paying customer for may years and I am at the point where I want to cancel my paid account as its a liability having the paid version.
    The reason is that automatic backups have no retention rules so they accumulate forever and if not checked can fill up a web hosting account.
    This has happened several time to clients I deal with who do not know to constantly go back and check on how many backups are there.
    Their email stop working as their storage is full, their websites get 404 errors when a permalink settings after an update can’t be saved etc etc.

Fix the issue urgently please or I am taking my money elsewhere very soon.

Tony Cosentino
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as moderator-only.
    Tony Cosentino
    Participant

Adding this message so I am notified of updates. If not resolved soon I’m out.

Vanessa

Hi,

Automatic backups do have retention limits (they always have done).
    The retention limit in the settings tab apply to both manual and scheduled backups.
    Please note that any backups made before the retention limits are set will not be counted in the retention limits.
    In fact my colleague in your earlier post showed you how to do this https://updraftplus.com/forums/topic/retention-limits-need-to-be-a-priority-for-automatic-backups/
    The only thing you cannot do is set the maximum backup size.

Bryle Crodua

Hi Tony,

This is already in our list of future development plan but there is no definite time on when this will be released.
    I will inform our development team about this too.

Best Wishes,
    Bryle

Tony Cosentino
    Participant

Thank you for your helpful response Bryle. However, a date would be helpful to save me having to look for an alternative before my next renewal is due.

As for Vanessa, that was a very misinformed defensive response you gave ( “Automatic backups do have retention limits (they always have done). “) and I think your support skills are questionable.

Here is a direct quote from a previous support response from Paul Bevan on this support topic – https://updraftplus.com/forums/topic/retention-and-removal-of-old-backups/

“How do I include automatic backups before updating in retention rules?
    You cannot set them directly in retention rules, Automatic Backups are either on or off and it should be noted that Automatic Backups and ‘always keep’ backups are never counted in the retention limits.”

Vanessa

Hi Tony,

Apologies, I hadn’t realised that was what you were asking, In the issue you posted, it appeared that you were simply asking if retention limits apply to automatic backups, “The reason is that automatic backups have no retention rules so they accumulate forever and if not checked can fill up a web hosting account”
    I apologise for the misunderstanding.
    My advice would be to keep an eye on the changelog for this.

solowiz
    Participant

Same here. Only way to delete these is one at a time, as far as I can tell, and I’d spend days doing that for all the client sites I manage.

Vanessa – how do I watch the changelog? Where is it (presumably here on the Updraft site)?

Thanks.

Peace,
    Terri Z

Bryle Crodua

Hi Terri,

The UpdraftPlus changelog is here – updraftplus.com/changelog/
    This is where we post details of the updates.

Thanks,
    Bryle

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Retention limits need to be a priority for automatic backups’ is closed to new replies.