Store backup in another folder of same server

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin Store backup in another folder of same server

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    KK
    Participant

Hi David,

Can you add an option to store backup on some other location of same server?

Today i was trying to do this but i had to use ftp for this and it was not working… i don’t know for what reason but it wasn’t.

It would be a good feature to store backup on a different folder of the same server.

Secondly, can you also add an option to ftp a previous created backup to some other server?

Currently the backup which is created after configuring ftp could be moved to another location but it would be really helpful if we could move our already created backups without re-creating them.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Karim,

Quote:
    Currently the backup which is created after configuring ftp could be moved to another location but it would be really helpful if we could move our already created backups without re-creating them.

For this one, you just need to set up the second site to use FTP to access the backup location, and then click on “Rescan remote storage” in the “restore” section. Then it will detect the backup and be able to download it.

Quote:
    Can you add an option to store backup on some other location of same server?

I’m not sure about this. Generally, we discourage people from backing up to the same server. It makes no sense. If you lose the server, then you lose everything. Cloud storage is so cheap (or even free, e.g. the first 15Gb on Google Drive), that it seems like an unnecessary risk. If you must do it, then FTP or SFTP is the present way that makes it possible to do it.

David

KK
    Participant

Hi David,

Thank you for the solution to rescan remote storage, i never had idea of it… so thanks :)

Secondly, i can understand that it makes no sense to you as you are thinking in a different perspective. In most of the shared hosting sites are stored in sub-directories for addon domains so cloning a site on same server is usually a requirement with many of us. A local directory backup and local directory restore (other than default directory) would be really helpful.

Thanks

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi,

I understand the idea, but the way you’ve explained it, it’s only needed in your case because for you, your FTP is not working for some unknown reason. Developing a new storage backend, which will then need ongoing support when people start using it, seems a bit of a sledgehammer for the purpose of cracking that nut!

David

Andrew
    Participant

David,

I’m going to jump in here, since I came to the forums looking for a way to back up locally on our server as well (and not just to Amazon S3). I am transitioning from BackWPup to Updraft Plus, and I just purchased the premium version a few minutes ago.

I like to have backups on the server in addition to in the cloud. Of course if the server is destroyed/lost/etc, the local backups won’t be useful. However, it’s more often the case that something small needs to be rolled back, and restoring just a few files can be very convenient. By having the files locally on the server, it’s often easier and faster to access.

I also find that local backups are generally more reliably completed — since it’s faster and takes fewer system resources (and doesn’t rely on the cloud API to be working). So, having local backups and cloud backups gives a slightly higher degree of overall reliability.

– Andrew

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew,

Does the server have FTP, SFTP or SCP available? If so, then the easiest way to accomplish that is to configure UpdraftPlus’s module for FTP/SFTP/SCP to store the backup.

Best wishes,
    David

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi both,

I’ve just realised that in fact you can already do this in the current UpdraftPlus….

You can do it in the WebDAV add-on. Instead of entering a WebDAV URL, just enter a server directory path. It’ll work. :-)

David

udadmin
    Keymaster

I recommend you to try Ahsay Software. Ahsay Backup Software has a centralized management console (called AhsayOBS) for managing all the backup users. Once you try this software. https://www.ahsay.com/jsp/en/home/index.jsp?pageContentKey=ahsay_products_ahsayobs_benefits&r=1d

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Store backup in another folder of same server’ is closed to new replies.