UpdraftPlus settings page refuses to load

UpdraftPlus Home Forums Paid support forum – UpdraftPlus backup plugin UpdraftPlus settings page refuses to load

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Participant

We’re experiencing a problem where the settings page will load halfway and then hang. We’ve been trying to load the page for an hour but can’t get the page to load. This seems to happen every now and again. It usually rights itself eventually and will load instantly again, but it’s an inconvenience when it occurs. Every other page on the site is fine.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thanks,

John

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi John,

That sounds like a problem with the webserver… best to ask the web hosting company… UD doesn’t do anything when loading its options page that could involve long timeouts (no network connections, etc.).

Does my memory prompt me that you had some very weird behaviour before on something … is this the same site?

David

udadmin
    Keymaster

P.S. One thing the hosting company could do is trace the PHP engine whilst the page is loading – if indeed it’s PHP that’s getting stuck (and not some intervening proxy, etc.). Not hard to do – but just has to be done from their side, as only they have that level of access.

Jennifer
    Participant

Thanks for getting back to me, David. This is indeed the same site.

On further investigation, it seems that the page is only having trouble loading whilst a backup is taking place. My current theory is that the server may be having trouble with the load, or we’re hitting PHP memory limits or something like that. The only nagging thought is that other pages load fine while a backup is running.

I’ve also noticed a warning that Updraft has encountered a very large file. There seems to be a wp-snapshots folder which contains a file that’s over 1GB (looks like someone else had installed the duplicator plugin at some point). I expect this isn’t helping matters, so I’m going to remove that.

John

udadmin
    Keymaster

Hi John,

> The only nagging thought is that other pages load fine while a backup is running.

That is a bit weird – I’ve not yet heard of a hosting setup where the resource limits placed on the customer can distinguish between front-end + back-end.

Anyway – yes, 1 Gb file is going to huge very very substantial resources to zip up into the backup. Other than deleting it, the simplest thing to do is add wp-snapshots to the configuration of folders that are excluded from the core backup.

David

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘UpdraftPlus settings page refuses to load’ is closed to new replies.